Planet X RT-58 Alloy any good

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Okay I am coming from a MTB, I will still use the MTB for forest tracks, however currently i am doing about 50/50 on and off road.
Approx 20-30 mile each run only about 2-3 time a week.

However I am no speed freak and just enjoy getting out there, currently I do approx 5 mins a mile on my Boardmand MTB on road (lots of hills) last big run was 47 mile in 4 1/2 hours.

So been round all the bikes and do no want to fork out a load of cash , but decided on 2 bikes all i need to know what is the better one, I cant sit on any the nearest place to get to try any bikes is a 220m round trip.

So a Planet X RT-58 Alloy SRAM Apex or a Boardman Road Sport Bike

Any suggestions i knwo i could get better if spent £xxx more but i just want a bike to use and try then maybe come summer i like it then i will get a better bike?

Just sick fed up going round and round the websites now taking the fun out of getting a bike...

Comments

• Hi, remember that PX for 20% off everything at the moment. The RT-58 is a solid bike, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This
  • Well i will be going down to Edinburgh with the other half on Saturday morning so will pop in have a look and see how they fit then if all well will order it online when i get back to the hotel as the 20% off is open until 2nd Dec.

Also as they come with no pedles can i use SDP pendals as i have on my MTB save buying a new pair of shoes?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Shouldn't be a problem using SPD pedals.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd get it - great spec for the cash. SPDs would be fine. Just make sure you get the right size!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I am being thick here, what do you mean by the right size , are the MTB bike treads the same as the Road bikes?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think passout must mean shoe size. You are not being thick. Your pedals will fit both bikes without a problem.
  • Brill thanks, already have shoes and used to the clips so will be good thanks.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think he meant make sure you get the right size bike!

Pedal threads are all the same.

SPDs are fine on a road bike; I did exactly the same when moving from MTB to road to save having to buy new shoes. That was 7 years ago and I'm still using them :D
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    keef66 wrote:
    I think he meant make sure you get the right size bike!

Pedal threads are all the same.

SPDs are fine on a road bike; I did exactly the same when moving from MTB to road to save having to buy new shoes. That was 7 years ago and I'm still using them :D

OK . It was me being thick. I am not having a good day anyway. :oops:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Hi, remember that PX for 20% off everything at the moment.

Website only mentions 20% off for wheels. Is there a code? I know some staff ones were floating around last week but I assumed they wouldn't be honoured.
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    I ordered this very bike using the discount code,it came saturday,took her for a test ride today.

Ive been riding mountain bikes for the last 20 years,this is my first road bike,loving it so far,will take a while to
    get used to though.
  • Just been browsing their site, they have a couple more but a lot more cash however would i really notice much difference between this and the Holdsworth Trentino Shimano 105 Carbon Road Bike or the Planet X Pro Carbon SRAM Rival

Tim
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    FYI - I did mean the right size bike. Cheers.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Well thanks all for the of fback, heading to o Edinburgh on Sat so will get fitted for the way right size then order online and will be getting the Rt 58
  • timboellis
    A bit late in the day to reply however yes i did get a RT58 with the 20% staff discount code they never queried it.

Done a good few 1000 miles on it now and i love it.
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    timboellis wrote:
    A bit late in the day to reply however yes i did get a RT58 with the 20% staff discount code they never queried it.

Done a good few 1000 miles on it now and i love it.

Glad your enjoying your bike,love mine too, around 700 miles done on her so far.

I changed the seat to a selle italia flow 2 and the tyres to dunlop pro service 4.

Rides like a dream now,very comfortable.
  • timboellis
    It also faired quite well when i came off it last week knocked myself out for 15 mins no idea what happened but bike is still intact other than a bit of tape hanging off which i re wrapped.