Which turbo for MTBs with wide axels?

Ladyboyharv
Ladyboyharv Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
...as it says in the title really, I need to find a way of fitting MTBs with wide rear axels into a turbo. Had a Santa Cruz tall boy in the studio the other day that wouldn't fit my cycleops jet fluid pro...and it's not the first. Is there a turbo in the market that people have used successfully with full sus MTBs, or is there a way of adapting a turbo to accommodate the wider axels etc. cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just go out and ride. Mountain bikers aren't fairies who won't go out in winter so don't need turbo trainers except when recocering from broken bones.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just go out and ride. Mountain bikers aren't fairies who won't go out in winter so don't need turbo trainers except when recocering from broken bones.

Perhaps you missed the username.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    How did I miss that!!
  • LOL...you missed the username...but perhaps missed the point! I'm a bike fitter and although 95% of my work revolves around fitting road, tri and cross bikes, with it being the winter, I get a smattering of MTBs. From that 5% of MTB visitors...90% are OK in my current turbo, but every now and then I get someone come in with a full suss bike, with a big rear axel...one which is both too wide and too large in diameter to fit. So I'm looking for idea...what do others do...is there a turbo out there that can accommodate larger axels, one perhaps that can be adjusted to suit wider or thicker axels...I'm open to all ideas at the mo as currently I can't fit these bikes to clients properly, and its annoying!
  • cooldad
    Be honest and tell people with MTBs, especially FS, that fitting is a waste of time and money.

All the fun stuff is done standing up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lol...ok 'dad' I'll let them know....thanks for your help.

Anyone else care to chime in with some constructive advice on suitable turbos?
  • cooldad
    I don't think there is. It's been asked before and no one has come up with a solution AFAIK.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Well, ended up contacting cycleops, and have ordered a basic 'magnetic' style turbo, apparently it will accept an adaptor spindle they sell for axels up to 142mm

https://www.cycleops.com/product/thru-axle-adapter
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    try kurt kinetic turbo trainers as they do one that fits a 12mm thru axle. https://kurtkinetic.com/technical-infor ... atibility/
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    Can you do a bike fit for a BMX?
  • jfry94 wrote:
    try kurt kinetic turbo trainers as they do one that fits a 12mm thru axle. https://kurtkinetic.com/technical-infor ... atibility/
    Thanks...interesting

As for fitting a BMX...if your question is 'can I' - yes, if your question is would I 'probably not/never have/no, no need*'

*delete as appropriate

If the follow on question is 'then why would you bother with a full sus MTB'...good question.

In this specific instance the client brought her MTB in as we currently have an offer on where you can get a second bike in to be fitted for free, so she brought it in along with her road bike. She is a novice MTBer, and is taking part in a multi-day enduro next year on this bike. Now it is clearly not the right bike for such an event, she bought it with zero input from me...but to suggest that just because it is a full sus MTB that a fitting suddenly becomes obsolete is daft and narrow minded. Even by eyeballing her on the bike, it is clear she is far to high...ie...if she rides like that for any length of time she going to end up with issues/injuries/serious discomfort.

Me joining the forum and posting on here was simple way of asking a simple question...seems some need to widen their eyes and remove their blinkers!

Ride strong peeps!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mountain bike fitting is pointless. You spend so mucg time out of the saddle that you don't have the same comfort issues that you get with hours in the saddle on a road bike.
    Also riding position has a huge impact on the bikes handling. Set up a bike for pedalling efficiency and comfort and you could potentially ruin it's handling.