Road Tyres or Road Bike

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a Boardman 650b MTB which is great and finding that i am doing a fair bit onroad riding, however due to space in my shed (wife needs to get access to the Tumble dryer)

Last run was just under 50 miles but mostly 20-30 mile runs, just wondering how much of a difference it would make getting road tyres instead or the factory fitted tyres?

Or do i really need to think about a racer?

If i was to go down the racer route it will be around the £400 mark.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mountain bikes are crap on road. Road bikes are much better and loads faster but road cycling is really dull
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Id be getting a road bike if I was on the road that much. Secretly I quite enjoy it, since getting one 12 month ago just because in the winter months it's easier for keeping fitness without having loads of bike cleaning each ride.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use a road bike all year round as it is more convenient and do mountain biking once the trails have dried out enough. To give you an idea on road riding my mountain bike I could only keep my road bike pace going for about seven miles without stopping completely shattered. To be fair my mountain bike has off road knobbly tyres on it but you get the idea. Also I found road biking has helped my power control and endurance when mountain biking.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even a road biased hybrid is much faster on road than an MTB, I set two strava PB'S last weekend cruising to the start of a long ride on a hybrid versus doing the same route on an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I used to use my mountain bike for commuting and ended up swapping so many components out to make it faster on the road, I completely ruined it as a mountain bike.

Keep the MTB for MTBing and buy a road bike for the road. If you need to sell the mountain bike to make room, you'll probably shift it easier still dressed up as a mountain bike than an attempt at a hybrid.
  • Well i have been looking at a Planet X RT-58 Alloy SRAM Apex goign down to edinburgh for the weekend new week and will have a look and a sit i think, this a good bike?
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Looks like a great bike for the money.