Building a wheel

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

My rear wheels hub is not functioning properly so i need to buy a new wheel. However it would be much cheaper to buy a rear hub and build a wheel my self.

What would i need to be able to do this and is it possible to do with a pretty reasonable knowledge of bikes. I can do most mechanical jobs on a bike just never needed to rebuild a wheel.

Cheers

Comments

• rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Indeed you can.

There's plenty of info on how to build a wheel on Internet. Sheldowm Brown website has enough information to do exactly what you want to do.

Building a wheel is not difficult, not rocket science but you need to be patient and methodical. Don't rush things. If you feel you are getting frustrated then it's time to walk away and come back when you are ready to work with a positive mind again.

If you make a mistake then you can go back and start again.

Good luck
  • Thank you. What will I need to buy apart from a new hub? Anything?
  • Which wheel?
    left the forum March 2023
  • It's actually an MTB that came with my rockhopper. dt swiss 445d
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Building your own wheel is satiisfying but by the time you have bought some tools is may not be cheaper. You make do without tools and build the wheel in your frame but it is more hassle. A 445d rim is not expensive neither should be a pre built wheel. If you get the self build right though it will more than liekly be better built than a factory version. A spoke tension gauge though helps alot ot get the tensions right a good one is not cheap.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I was planning on building the wheel, I have a spoke key, and then taking the wheel to my LBS and getting them to true it for a tenner. So all in all, £20 for a deore hub, £10 for truing.
  • If you want to build your own wheel, read up on my wheelbuilding info and buy Roger Musson's wheelbuilding e-book. Those sites tell you everything you need to know.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    I was planning on building the wheel, I have a spoke key, and then taking the wheel to my LBS and getting them to true it for a tenner. So all in all, £20 for a deore hub, £10 for truing.
    I'd be surprised if they'd true a newly-built wheel for a tenner. It's quite a lot of work if the builder hasn't already sorted basic spoke tension, dish and radial true; nothing like as simple as bringing an otherwise OK wheel back to true.

(Hark at me coming over all expert...I have so far built, count them, four whole wheels. But I've done a lot of reading. Paolo may also have an opinion. He probably built four wheels over lunchtime.)
  • 964Cup wrote:
    (Hark at me coming over all expert...I have so far built, count them, four whole wheels. But I've done a lot of reading. Paolo may also have an opinion. He probably built four wheels over lunchtime.)

I tend to agree with you. These days for a tenner you don't get much in a shop. A builder on the other hand might just do it free of charge or not do it all... depends how he feels about it on the day... sometimes you feel for the guy and do it for free, other times he comes with a set of Superstar wheels he bought half price online that are not quite true and you tell him to send them back to where he got them from... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you have laced them that a 10 minute job for a wheel builder. If you have put some tension in them and brought it to me. I would unwind all the spokes and start tensioning from stratch as it will be quicker. From that point there is a hours work may be less on a good day. You want that for a tenner?

Building a wheel is not just the lacing. There is the tensioning, dishing, stress releiving e.t.c it is all doable at home so if you are going to build a wheel do all of it. Doing half the job is saving 20 minutes of time for someone who does it everyday. Not worth it imo.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    I was planning on building the wheel, I have a spoke key, and then taking the wheel to my LBS and getting them to true it for a tenner. So all in all, £20 for a deore hub, £10 for truing.

I think I misunderstood your OP.... you don't want to build and learn how to do it, you just want to save yourself a few quids. Like thecycleclinic said, I doubt you will get the job done for a tenner. If I were you I'd do the full rebuild and learn a little bit of a new skill. Didn't you say you were quite competent with other bike maintenance/repair stuff? Wheelbuilding can only enhance your mechanical experience.