Reba Fork Service

Bazzowmb
Bazzowmb Posts: 227
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Got an old Rockshox Reba Fork that is in need of some TLC.

Can anyone recommend any companies out there to give it a service and if possible extend the travel from the current 85 to 100mm? If so what sort of cost are we talking about?

Or alternatively have people just used their LBS?

I do most of my own maintenance on my mtb and road bikes but I think this is probably a step to far.

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TFtuned for RS, how much it will cost to increase the travel depends very much on the exact parts fitted on your forks and what needs doing to extend it, it can cost anything from nothing (on top of service costs) to uneconomical if too many new parts are needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Do them yourself, genuinely the easiest fork in the world to service.
  • Bazzowmb
    Really, are there kits available, as I'm in the dark on this subject?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't need a kit to extend the travel - if your fork can be extended (some can't), there will be a spacer in the negative air spring chamber that you remove. Many service docs available online for this, is a fairly simple task.

Only ay of knowing is opening them up.
  • Bazzowmb wrote:
    Really, are there kits available, as I'm in the dark on this subject?

Yes, have a search around. Look on ebay etc, as long as you know a year of the fork you will be fine. Sram have tech videos up on YouTube too. It's really straightforward to do.
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    You don't need a kit to extend the travel - if your fork can be extended (some can't), there will be a spacer in the negative air spring chamber that you remove. Many service docs available online for this, is a fairly simple task.

Only ay of knowing is opening them up.
    On an RS it can also be a simple case of shortening the guide sleeve if there are no spacers (assuming everything else is suitable for the new longer travel).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    TF Tuned sell all the service kits. I have done full air spring and damper rebuilds on my old Rebas, it's not too complicated. Just follow the manual instructions and be very clean & methodical.
    You will need some isopropyl alcohol (disc brake cleaner) and lint free cloth. No special tools, just allwn keys, circlip pliers, plastic mallet and a couple screw drivers.
  • If they are solo air, you'll need a new air damper to adjust the travel.

Dual airs are very easy, there is a guide on bikeradar somewhere.
  • The Rookie
    'Air damper'?

My daughters revs we just had to shorten the air spring guide sleeve so it could extend further, simple......
  • Sorry, air spring.

for the newer solo airs, the stantions have notches that allow the +ve and -ve sides to equilibrate at full extension.
    The air springs are therefore travel specific, so if you want to go up/down in travel you need a new air spring or a least a new air spring rod so that the forks can work properly.

I believe you can cut the air rod if you're handy with a saw.
  • Bazzowmb
    Cheers guys appreciate your help.

I've watched a couple of the videos as recommended and as you say it doesn't look too bad - I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks again