Panniers on a Defy 1 (2013)

chair24
chair24 Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello there, even though I know it's against all cyclist opinions, I really would like to get a rack and pannier set for my Giant Defy 1 (2013). I use the bike for commuting to work and my rucksack is always full but at times when I want to go shopping on the way home, I can't fit the shopping in my bag so I hang it on the handlebars, which is obviously not a good idea. In fact, I've had shopping bags split and juice cartons explode on me and all over the road (with a previous rode bike) from doing that.

Can anyone help suggest a suitable rack and/or suitable pannier set for my bicycle? If you really are against panniers, I welcome any other means of carrying it. Thanks for answering my first post! :D

Comments

• Garybarker
    Garybarker Posts: 44
    edited November 2014
    I have 2012 Defy 1 and have used a Tortec ultralite for the coast to coast run in the summer along with the Giant seat collar with the additional rack mount in replacement for the standard one.

For pannier bags I use Ortlieb back roller classics, abolutely no issues, I would highly recommend both

Gaz
  • Awesome, perfect replies, exactly what I wanted, thanks!

I kind of wish that the seat collar with rack mount was there as standard!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubus fly rack - attaches to the rear brake mount plus add QR adaptor plates - no frame mods needed. Fitted one to a friend's carbon frame to allow them to ride JOGLE - bombproof.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The collar with rack mount can be left on permanently, although I only put it on when I require the panniers.

I believe the lower defy ranges have mounts on the seat stays for a pannier
  • Thanks for your help everyone! I've got a Tubus fly rack and am planning on getting some Ortlieb Back Roller Classics soon, but I am having some difficulty attaching the rack. I can't seem to attach it to the rear brake mount as the Shimano 105 brake calipers seem to be in the way and I'd need to bend the cylindrical rod all the way around them which doesn't seem possible. Would it be best to get the seat collar with rack mount for it?
    Thanks!
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    If you have rack mounts, the Tortec Velocity is a good option.
  • I had a rear pannier rack in a 2013 defy 3 and I had heel clearance problems. Try the panniers FULL to see if they'll give you any clearance problems before buying