Clearcoat over Hammerite smooth?

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi just finished painting an old Raleigh Ripide frame with Hammerite smooth and wondering if it's ok to lacquer after I have added decals? Anyone ever done this? Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you do, use a hammerite lacquer (if such a thing exists). Hammerite is not always compatible with other types of paint...
  • carl1983
    Imposter wrote:
    If you do, use a hammerite lacquer (if such a thing exists). Hammerite is not always compatible with other types of paint...

Closest thing Hammerite do is Waxoyl. I could try painting something else to test but just wanted to know if anyone else has done it first.

PS Hammerite smooth hand painted onto the frame has shown very good results considering it's brushed on, I think the key is in the slow drying time which is alowing any brush mark or imperfections to blend in.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I just know from experience that Hammerite reacts with some 'regular' clearcoat sprays. Hammerite itself was probably the wrong choice if you were planning on clear coating as well, as Hammerite is not really a 'decorative' paint in the first place...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    I just know from experience that Hammerite reacts with some 'regular' clearcoat sprays. Hammerite itself was probably the wrong choice if you were planning on clear coating as well, as Hammerite is not really a 'decorative' paint in the first place...

Yup - agree completely. I did some motorbike wheels in Hammerite smooth a few years ago and when lacquered they reacted and it went all crazy looking.

Full strip down and respray job.

Best to leave as be if you are happy with the finish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • carl1983
    Ok thanks guys, think I will leave it and just decal over the top. it is a fairly high gloss finish anyway.

Thanks.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    carl1983 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Closest thing Hammerite do is Waxoyl. I could try painting something else to test but just wanted to know if anyone else has done it first.

PS Hammerite smooth hand painted onto the frame has shown very good results considering it's brushed on, I think the key is in the slow drying time which is alowing any brush mark or imperfections to blend in.

Waxoil is ,yes you might have guessed, waxy oily stuff, used to rust proof things like car chassis. Definitely not suitable!