Press fit bottom brack tools

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I want to change the bearing cups on my TCR. It's BB86 so the two cheapest tools I can find to remove/install are:

Park BBT90.3 - cheapest price I can find £30
Shimano TL BB12 - again about £30

Are there any cheaper alternatives that I'm missing?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I think that is a good price for the genuine TL-BB12 installation tool, I came across these adaptors, however if you don't already have the park HHP-3 press tool or a headset press, then probably no advantage over the TL-BB12.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p59085/Giant- ... s-Kit.aspx

As for the Park removal tool seems expensive for what is basically a drift, don't you have anything suitable that you can use, e.g. cut down wooden broom handle? or make one out of a length of hollow tubing.
  • I don't have a removal tool, but I fashioned a working installation tool from the following via ebay:
    1 no 130mm long M20 bolt
    2 no M30 nuts
    4 no 44mm washers
    6 no 37mm washers

Smaller washers sit inside the cups and fill the void and help to centralise the bolt, bigger washers form end bearing surfaces. Bolt tightens. A bit if care keeping things aligned when tightening and job done.

Doesn't help me for removal though, but have yet to cross that bridge....
  • Cheapest you can get is a piece of wood and a hammer. Works fine if you take your time and tap it in square. Done this on loads of motorbike and push bike bearings
  • I needed my push fit bottom bracket bearings replacing. I phoned round a few LBS's for advice, I told them that I needed to replace my Campagnolo Athena Power Torque bearings. I was initially met with -"we can't do that" -"you'll need some special tools".
    Then one helpful dealer said "It's not hard to remove them as long as you are careful. Take out the chainset, then tap the bearing from the opposite side using a thin piece of wood."
    I wasn't sure that I'd find it quite as easy as he made it sound, but I thought I'd give it a go. I was worried that my Scott CR1 SL (carbon hi-mod BB86) would disintegrate at the first sign of force.
    So I've got the frame braced between my knees, the handle of a tack hammer(as stated above - any thin piece of wood or something that is not metal should be okay) slotted through one side of the bearings. I start tapping gently against the head of the tack hammer and looking to see if the bearing is moving,no joy. I move the point of contact to a different part of the bearing that I am trying to remove and hit it a bit harder.
    I'm being careful - my frame is worth a lot more than the bill for getting an LBS to sort it!
    Then I see that the bearing has moved, only a bit but I feel I'm getting somewhere. I then try to tap the opposite edge of the bearing and this time it needs far less force to move the bearing out evenly. I continue to tap around the outside edge of the bearing to free it .
    I've now replaced two bearings using this method, I take no responsibility if it all ends in tears but if you're careful I reckon it's worth a try.
    Installation of push fit bearings is easy. Grease and push! Make sure seals and washers are correct,job done.