Direct drive turbo trainer

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
My old turbo trainer is looking a bit sad and rusty, so to help motivate myself to get out to the garage now the nights have pulled in, I'm considering getting a new one. I'm tempted by a direct drive turbo, something liket he Elite Muin or the LeMond Revolution. I'm looking for something with a bit more road feel than my 10 year old one from Decathlon, hopefully quieter, and a bit more stable, so I can train out of the saddle without fear of falling over.

Apart from not wearing out your rear tyre, is a direct drive turbo worth the money? Or should I go for a cheaper conventional turbo?

There are several what turbo threads, but not much on direct drive turbos, so I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks

Comments

• I don't think the words "quiet", and direct drive trainers have much in common do they?

Dunno- I know from the reviews I've looked at that the Lemond's only real drawback is it makes a noise like a small jet taking off :shock: They are undeniably noisy- not so bad if you have a dedicated cave I guess...

Dont know how other DD compare to the Lemond though.

Im personally going to be getting a KK Rock n Roll in the next week or two...
  • Wattbike.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Wattbike.

Out of budget.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I have no personal experience with a direct drive trainer, have only got a conventional one (Elite). There is a very good write-up here and reviews of a few different ones (incl. the Elite and also Wahoo):

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/2014 ... tions.html