Rapha Pro Team Race Cape

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
So what do people think of their Rapha race capes?

I've not used mine out and about yet but the zip gets badly caught/stopped, when doing it up, around chest level on the start of that bit of striped triangular cloth. I can see that really pissing me off struggling to get it on in the wind and rain. Is that a fault of mine or is that how they all are? I'm wondering if I should attempt to get a replacement.

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    IMHO Rapha's more race orientated/technical stuff isn't much cop. Stick to Castelli/Sportful etc...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    £195 for a pacamac, it's an absolute fecking liberty!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do like it and the fit is perfect (very racey). The only downside, as Asprilla mentioned is the back is very short, which seems to render the bum flap totally obscelete
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    coriordan wrote:
    I do like it and the fit is perfect (very racey). The only downside, as Asprilla mentioned is the back is very short, which seems to render the bum flap totally obscelete

Indeed. I've gone a size up and the back length is fine but the arms are now too long.

Pros are chimps.

I'll see if I'll use it much over the winter and possibly sell it in the spring. I sold my last one for £100 so might make a profit this time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    So not an actual cape then? Imagine my disappointment.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • itsrob
    itsrob Posts: 95
    Still gutted I missed the ebay sale - I keep checking if anymore coming up!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I went for a medium - 72kgish, but luckily a short upper body, and it does seem a bit short, but I think I will keep it and use it in the summer.

As mentioned, should be easy enough to flog for little or no loss if really not up to it.

Feels good quality though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TBH it seems perfect for winter. With a merino (or thinner!) base layer on, it should be ideal for hard training runs in the wet. Some 'boil in the bag' properties to keep you warm and also waterproof. If on a casual (wet) ride, then under a L/S jersey or winter jacket.

Will give it a proper workout this weekend, hopefully.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    In other Rapha news, cap turned up - sartorial q now arisen; ears under or over?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    DrLex wrote:
    In other Rapha news, cap turned up - sartorial q now arisen; ears under or over?
    ??????
    A cap should never be over ears unless it is one of those winter ones designed to keep you warm.
    In summary, over.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    DrLex wrote:
    Mine too (well actually I bought 2).
    Ears over, definitely.

Or maybe, one in, one out?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Worn it once for the 10 mile commute home over a cold gear under amour base layer (in the dry, 3 or 4 degrees).

More than warm enough, excellent fit in the arms (wish my pro team jacket arms were as slim), no problems with the zip or length (went for a Large, am usually somewhere between Medium & Large in Rapha).

Really happy with it but when I eagerly opened the packet my first thought was how crestfallen I'd be if I had paid the full RRP. Thankfully it can be used as a jacket for cold (but probably not sub zero) temps as opposed to just a pac a mac emergency rain jacket.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross