London's parliament is falling down . . .

2»

Comments

• Because historic buildings should be preserved, we're all much the poorer if we just disregard the past and build everything to just be functional. At present the Palace of Westminster has not 'burned down', it's within our power to fix it.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The issue is that the building needs renovating no matter what. MPs need a building to meet in no matter what.

The cost of renovating the Palace of Westminster for MPs to use is going to be less than doing that anyway and having a new or adapated building for a new place.

Why does it need renovating - why can't we build something in its place more impressive and more fit for purpose ? When the original burnt down they didn't build a replica.

Could we build that now ? it would be a billion gbp task I reckon.
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love that the 'cheaper upgrade' option for Euston for HS2 was more expensive than a total demolish-rebuild job
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    coriordan wrote:
    I love that the 'cheaper upgrade' option for Euston for HS2 was more expensive than a total demolish-rebuild job

I can't remember where but I ready or watched something that explained that HS2 has already cost more in planning and arguments than the initial campaign said would be the total cost to build.
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,424
    The issue is that the building needs renovating no matter what. MPs need a building to meet in no matter what.

The cost of renovating the Palace of Westminster for MPs to use is going to be less than doing that anyway and having a new or adapated building for a new place.

Why does it need renovating - why can't we build something in its place more impressive and more fit for purpose ? When the original burnt down they didn't build a replica.

...and those genii (plural?) would build something like that bloody overpriced flimsy monstrosity that is known as 'Holyrood'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    VTech wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

I can't remember where but I ready or watched something that explained that HS2 has already cost more in planning and arguments than the initial campaign said would be the total cost to build.

Even worse, it will be done via a hybrid bill and not planning consents, a de facto admission the planning system d oes not deliver. The government wil not even use their new planning laws for their pet project.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very interesting article on Beeb from everyones worst enemy, Tony Blair. Doesn't seem dim at all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30342948
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    coriordan wrote:
    Very interesting article on Beeb from everyones worst enemy, Tony Blair. Doesn't seem dim at all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30342948

Is a fairly common argument. Certainly one I've heard myself say.

As to whoever suggested knocking down Westminster? Are you actually mad? It's one of the finest examples of English Gothic architecture there is. Might not be your style, but it's a masterpiece.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Across the first world the for pay members of legislatures varies from a little less than that of Westminster (Sweden, Switzerland, Spain) up to 2-3 times as much (Italy, US, JP); however there doesn't seem to be the slightest correlation between pay and the quality of governance...