New set of wheels for Boardman Hybrid Pro

deffler
deffler Posts: 829
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
The freehub body has gone on my Boardman Hybrid Pro 13 and LBS seem to be having a massive issue sourcing the part after 2 weeks of trying :roll: .

To save the hassle I'm looking for a new set of 700c wheels so wondering if anyone has seen any bargains or if anyone has done the same replacement what have you gone for? The bike is used mainly on roads for the commute however some light cycle path / bridleway use at weekends

Needs to be 10 speed Sram compatible, 6 bolt disc and black. ideally I'm looking to pay £150 for a pair however would go upto £200, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    what's the OLN spacing on the back? 130 or 135
  • deffler
    gbsahne wrote:
    what's the OLN spacing on the back? 130 or 135

erm I haven't got a clue :oops: , is that the measurement between the inside of the 2 rear drop outs?
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes, its 135mm

Best bet at that price is probably the Mavic Aksium Disc (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod126990) They arent particularly light but neither are the wheels that came on the bike.

Not many choices for disc wheels at that price. The big gains start around £250 where you could get Kinesis Crosslight CX wheels (which would be MUCH lighter) or £300 where you could get handbuilt.

The Mavics are quite new so not much feedback out there on them but I imagine Mavic will use reliable components.
  • Just struck me how bizarre the title Hybrid Pro is. There's professional racers (MTB, roadie) but are there any professionals that ride Hybrids? (Other than doctors, teachers, engineers etc) :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Those Kinesis CX wheels look awesome. I wonder if they would build the rear on an Alfine if I sent it in? A question for a separate thread perhaps.
    Just struck me how bizarre the title Hybrid Pro is. There's professional racers (MTB, roadie) but are there any professionals that ride Hybrids? (Other than doctors, teachers, engineers etc) :wink:

A valid observation, my Cube Hyde is the "Race" model but I can't see anyone ever racing one! It's obviously just to separate the different sub models though... or to make us hybrid riders feel a bit less like outcasts. Yeah buddy, you're a Pro :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • deffler
    apreading wrote:
    Yes, its 135mm

Best bet at that price is probably the Mavic Aksium Disc (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod126990) They arent particularly light but neither are the wheels that came on the bike.

Not many choices for disc wheels at that price. The big gains start around £250 where you could get Kinesis Crosslight CX wheels (which would be MUCH lighter) or £300 where you could get handbuilt.

The Mavics are quite new so not much feedback out there on them but I imagine Mavic will use reliable components.

great I will have a look, as you say the stock wheels aren't particularly light so anything must be an improvement, I had been looking at these http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPLCXALC/planet-x-cx-disc-alloy-clincher-wheelset ,
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler wrote:
    great I will have a look, as you say the stock wheels aren't particularly light so anything must be an improvement, I had been looking at these http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPLCXALC/planet-x-cx-disc-alloy-clincher-wheelset ,
    Neither are those... 2.2 Kg for the pair is probably the same as what you've got already. If it's a hybrid you use for commuting only, it's worth fixing rather than "upgrading".
    The Aksium one are very reasonably priced, if they fit your rear dropouts, I wouldn't look any further
    left the forum March 2023
  • gbsahne001
    I'd opt for the Planet X, only because of the higher spoke count
  • CitizenLee
    gbsahne wrote:
    I'd opt for the Planet X, only because of the higher spoke count

Why is that? On a commuter/road bike they're not going to see that much abuse surely? Occasional deep pothole or a bump up a kerb?

I always prefer fewer spokes for less rotational weight. For example, The Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset on my MTB have 24 front and 20 rear, and they're lighter but just as strong as any standard 32h or 36h MTB wheelset. Not cheap mind you.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Conventional wisdom is that you need more spokes for disc brakes than rim brakes because the braking force travels through the spokes to the rims to the tyre. But then again, I guess that probably depends on what spokes you have and how strong they might be.

I wouldnt go below 24 spokes for disc brakes and would only go that far if I had confidence in how well the wheel has been put together.
  • CitizenLee
    Well Mavic do use fancy proprietary spokes on their Crossmax wheels so that probably explains how they can only use 20 spokes on the rear of a wheel designed for All-Mountain/Enduro riding with discs up to 203mm. Plus, Mavic are French and everyone knows the French are total weight weenies :D

I guess a valid point for road wheels with discs though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • apreading wrote:
    Conventional wisdom is that you need more spokes for disc brakes than rim brakes because the braking force travels through the spokes to the rims to the tyre. But then again, I guess that probably depends on what spokes you have and how strong they might be.

Hmmm - F=m x a

The only thing that changes the total braking force (for a given mass) is the deceleration. Now, that might be higher for discs though I'm doubting that the highest force a wheel "sees".

What might affect things is the nature of the force applied to the spokes - it maybe more of an overall shearing/wind-up effect than tension (ie the hub is trying to stop whilst the rim continues to try to turn on a disc brake) but I'd have thought that could be accounted for by how the spokes lace to the hub so that this force also generates tension in the spoke.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Back to the first post, it's a formula hub, probably the most common there is.....an LBS should be able to get a freehub! I would guess the wheel weight would be about 2.3kg as the equivalent 26" are 2.1kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Personally, I'd build my own. For less than £200, you could have XT hubs laced to Archetype rims with decent quality spokes. Those would be nice wheels, too nice for a hybrid, obviously - but would move to a decent bike at a later date.
  • apreading wrote:

I wouldnt go below 24 spokes for disc brakes and would only go that far if I had confidence in how well the wheel has been put together.

I'm not convinced you need more spokes... the thing is radial patterns have to be avoided and if you go under 20 spokes, it is very hard to build any other way... 18 can only be radial for symmetry and 16 is probably too few to make any sensible cross... the factory wheels seem to have decided 24 is adequate and I tend to agree to an extent... I am pretty sure 20 H options will pop up in no time...
  • deffler
    The Rookie wrote:
    Back to the first post, it's a formula hub, probably the most common there is.....an LBS should be able to get a freehub! I would guess the wheel weight would be about 2.3kg as the equivalent 26" are 2.1kg.

TBH my knowledge of these things is very, very limited. took bike into LBS, 2 weeks later he still had not been able to source the freehub after originally telling me the part was on order, various reasons given, no alternative solutions given either :?

think I might contact Halfords as im sure they could source it
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many people have sourced them through Halfords without issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    I'm not convinced you need more spokes... the thing is radial patterns have to be avoided and if you go under 20 spokes, it is very hard to build any other way... 18 can only be radial for symmetry and 16 is probably too few to make any sensible cross... the factory wheels seem to have decided 24 is adequate and I tend to agree to an extent... I am pretty sure 20 H options will pop up in no time...

Interesting to read, as the last builds that I've had, I've opted for more spokes on the basis that the commuter generally ends up with double panniers on the back during the Winter and if a spoke does fail, I want the wheel to be ridable.

Maybe I should reconsider future builds or get a bigger shed, so that I can have Winter and Summer wheels
  • gbsahne wrote:
    Maybe I should reconsider future builds or get a bigger shed, so that I can have Winter and Summer wheels

For my own wheels I build 32 by default... there is more choice of components and it builds a 3 cross pattern with ideal angles. If I want lighter wheels, I choose different spokes, you can shift 100-200 g using lighter spokes and just as much if you choose lighter rims.
    Going all the way to 24 spokes from 32 saves me 16 spokes which is only 80-120 grams depending on which spokes I use... so it seems the less effective way to shed weight and the one that brings more potential troubles.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I fitted a set of Aksium One Discs on Friday night. First impressions are fairly good. Lighter than the Mavic SpinCitys they replaced. Only done a few commutes so far though. Hoping to get out further tonight
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen