Can anyone help me find these ROMIC shocks?

pnarrea
pnarrea Posts: 5
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone,
I am looking for these particular Romic shocks for a formula race car I am making with a team at my school.
I will post a picture of the shock one I figure out how to. For now I will post a link to the shocks image below:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/downhi ... g_2194.jpg

The specs of the shock are:

6 inches eye to eye
2 inch outer diameter (for the spring)
1.5 inches of stroke length (about, not entirely sure about this)
400 lbs x 1.5 inch (spring stiffness)

These shocks are really old, and the company is out of business. Making it really hard to find these anywhere. This then would make the question pop up, why look for these shocks? There are plenty of newer and higher quality shocks than these god awful romics, so why not just buy a set of those?

Now, this is 100% true, my team and I plan on getting much better shocks and springs for the newer version of the car we are making. However, we plan on using the older version of the car to test stuff on.

The romic shock I am looking for is to replace ONE of the broken shocks on the car. (The knob that controls the dampening snapped off, so we cant adjust it). This is a much cheaper alternative buying 4 different shocks for the car, and yes we do have to get the exact same shocks all the way around because otherwise the suspension is compromised. There is the possibility of using 2 different shocks in the front and keep the 2 older romic shocks in the back, but I believe this will still mess with the suspension, or so the Lead of the group says.

If anyone knows anything about these particular shocks please post!
It would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ebay.

you will never find any new. (they went bust years ago.)

get a new knob made. you have plenty to use as a template.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Any use?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1652384/

It's in the US but I'm sure if the size is right you could persuade the guy to send it to the UK or wherever you're based.

You could also post a wanted ad on there too.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Ebay.

making a new knob is definitely a possibility, although I do not believe we have anyone that is confident enough to try and drill out the remaining bits of the knob and add a new one (or however we are supposed to replace the knob). If that doesn't work I suppose we can try and find a bike shop who might be able to help us with that, since no actual company services these old shocks anymore (or who knows if they ever did).

That is if worse comes to worst. Buying one is still what we are going for.
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Any use?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1652384/

It's in the US but I'm sure if the size is right you could persuade the guy to send it to the UK or wherever you're based.

You could also post a wanted ad on there too.

Unfortunately not, just by looking at the picture you can tell that it isnt 6 inches eye to eye. I need one that is exactly like the one in the picture I provided. Comparing the two you can see the difference in size.
    Someone else in a different forum I visited actually referred me to the same shock you just posted. :/
  • nicklouse
    pnarrea wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ebay.

making a new knob is definitely a possibility, although I do not believe we have anyone that is confident enough to try and drill out the remaining bits of the knob and add a new one (or however we are supposed to replace the knob). If that doesn't work I suppose we can try and find a bike shop who might be able to help us with that, since no actual company services these old shocks anymore (or who knows if they ever did).

That is if worse comes to worst. Buying one is still what we are going for.
    Ok first things first have a look at the other one of the pair you should be able to see how the knob is attached. which should point you in the correct direction for removing the failed part remains.

it will also allow you to take the good adjuster to an engineers shop to make a new one. if the Lab tech ain't up to it.

I guess you are not UK based?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    pnarrea wrote:
    yes we do have to get the exact same shocks all the way around because otherwise the suspension is compromised. There is the possibility of using 2 different shocks in the front and keep the 2 older romic shocks in the back, but I believe this will still mess with the suspension, or so the Lead of the group says.

Shocks of that age will all be so worn that they will all be working differently anyway.
    Get another knob made, shouldn't cost much.
  • Remaking the knob will probably be the plan,
    does anyone have any information on this procedure?
  • nicklouse
    Find a service manual on line.

Or find a bike mechanic that know the shocks.

But as this is mainly a European based site. Any who's and where's might not be any help.