ssssscrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited November 2014 in Workshop
My brakeset is Shimano 105 5700 and I have dura-ace brakepads on front and back. When I pull the back brakes im getting a high pitched screech that is very noticeable. My wheels are mavic open pro with aluminium brake tracks and 105 hubs. I clean the wheel braking surfaces during the post Saturday club ride and im puzzled as to what is causing the screech and how to get rid of it :?

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    What did you use to clean the braking surface?

Anything other than water, and drying properly, can contaminate the surfaces and cause the embarrassing screech.
  • Qube wrote:
    What did you use to clean the braking surface?

Anything other than water, and drying properly, can contaminate the surfaces and cause the embarrassing screech.

I used unscented Tesco baby wipes, reckon that could be a possible contributor ?
  • qube
    Nailed it.
  • Qube wrote:
    Nailed it.

Dang it, how best to rectify the situation ?
  • Qube wrote:
    Nailed it.

Brake cleaner, and make sure the pads are set up slightly toe in.
  • qube
    Or hot water, clean rags and maybe treat yourself to a new set of pads.

The existing pads will have traces of the baby wipes residue on them.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Qube wrote:
    Nailed it.

Brake cleaner, and make sure the pads are set up slightly toe in.

Can you wipe braking surface with lighter fluid to clean them up again and get rid of the screech ?
  • qube
    IMO... Best to keep away from the braking surfaces with anything but water.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I clean my wheels and brake pads with warm water and a dash of washing up liquid. Never had a problem. I'd be surprised if you need to replace your pads after a bit of baby wipe residue, soapy water will get it off, then rince with clearn water. Every so often I remove the pads, clean them properly with a kitchen scourer (green plastic variety) and dig out any shards of metal that are embedded in them. Improves braking and helps maintain the life of your rims.
  • Term1te wrote:
    I clean my wheels and brake pads with warm water and a dash of washing up liquid. Never had a problem. I'd be surprised if you need to replace your pads after a bit of baby wipe residue, soapy water will get it off, then rince with clearn water. Every so often I remove the pads, clean them properly with a kitchen scourer (green plastic variety) and dig out any shards of metal that are embedded in them. Improves braking and helps maintain the life of your rims.

+1 to this in general but its good to rub down the pad surface with sandpaper after picking out and metal or other detritus (I just scrape mine on the bricks) to freshen them. I've never noticed any shortening of lifespan but it significantly improves braking. Acetone (nail varnish remover) is a good cleaner for stubborn dirt on rims just dampen a cloth and wipe round evaporates off and doesn't leave a residue.
  • I use car wash, I bought it years ago when it was on offer (turtle wax shampoo). I was advised by a mechanic years ago to avoid washing up liquid as some contain salt...how true that is I do not know.
    Anyhow...agree with most here, the only thing that touches my rims (ahem) is soapy water and a good rinse afterwards...even soap residue can make the brakes squeal a bit
  • Bit off track, but I had a very load scrreeeeeching develop on my bike a couple of weeks ago, which turned out to be coming from the freewheel.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Errrr - for the past 15 years I have cleaned my wheel rims, brakes and pads with Jizer, washed off with the hose, hot water with cas shampoo in it (which is then washed off with hose water) and plain good old hose water.

No problems, ever.

No new pads following baby wipe interface needed so give 'em a wash and go for a good ride.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bit off track, but I had a very load scrreeeeeching develop on my bike a couple of weeks ago, which turned out to be coming from the freewheel.

Mavic wheel by any chance??
  • Why yes, how did you know?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No personal experience since I ride Shimano wheels but Mavics are well known for it apparently.
    One cause is a plastic bushing which is easily replaced, the other relates to cleaning and relubing the freehub I understand.

Google Mavic death squeal