Aluminium jockey wheel all sheared inside

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I got some "GUB" ceramic jockey wheels, I was impressed with them for the price (about £13 for a pair). They are impressive - off the bike.

After not much usage, one of them had the "button" thing go inside the center of the jockey wheel, creating what looks like machined circles inside the jockey wheel... [rebooting to upload the pics]

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Cry out, throw them away and buy Tacx wheels (our national pride)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Manc33 wrote:
    I got some "GUB" ceramic jockey wheels, I was impressed with them for the price (about £13 for a pair). They are impressive - off the bike.

After not much usage, one of them had the "button" thing go inside the center of the jockey wheel, creating what looks like machined circles inside the jockey wheel... [rebooting to upload the pics]

Why are you telling us this?
  • Manc33
    Imposter wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

Why are you telling us this?

Someone might be doing research on ceramic jockey wheels in future, then find this thread and find these ones in particular (JY-G22C) aren't worth buying? That makes sense to you, right? What's your reason for singling me out with questions like that? You could say that to anyone, anytime, to anything they have posted.

Back on topic...

On the left, how it should look, on the right, the damaged jockey wheel:

qsNM05v.jpg

This shouldn't be able to happen:

ojYBc7Y.jpg

How it should look:

t7OyKir.jpg

I just whipped these "JY-G22C" off and put my original Shimano jockey wheels back on.

The danger with them if they shear away inside like the above is your chain can get caught on the rear mech's plate around where the jockey wheel is. There's a good 3mm of side to side movement. This has to be about the easiest way to snap a chain, because most people just never look at their jockey wheels once their bike is setup.

It was the lower jockey wheel that did this, to my surprise. :roll:

For those that have an inexplicable aversion to this information being posted - if you find another thread with pics about this problem - I will delete this thread (if you can do that here).
  • Bet this thread will be locked shortly!!! :?
  • Manc33
    edited November 2014
    Bet this thread will be Locke shortly !!

Then it goes into oblivion and no one on Google researching ceramic jockey wheels in future will know these ones shear off inside. Fair enough, I certainly don't get paid to tell people these things.
    Keezx wrote:
    Cry out, throw them away and buy Tacx wheels (our national pride)

1.7/5.0

Nice try. :wink:

"the holds to fit were not far apart enough"
    "Upper one seized solid after just 4 months"
    "Lower pulley seized up after one ride, admittedly muddy."
  • article-2293860-189C020D000005DC-178_634x581.jpg

5 / 1 on this thread gets locked, any takers ?
  • Manc33
    I'll bet 1 remaining working ceramic jockey wheel it will.
  • Manc33 wrote:
    I'll bet 1 remaining working ceramic jockey wheel it will.

Christopher%20Biggins%20charity%20interview.jpg

OH NO IT WONT !!!!!!!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Manc33 wrote:
    What's your reason for singling me out with questions like that? You could say that to anyone, anytime, to anything they have posted.

This is the workshop forum - but you are not asking for, or offering technical advice. If you insist on confusing people by using the forums as your own personal blog, then at least post in the right place - in this case 'buying advice' would probably be the closest match for whatever point it is you are trying to get across.
  • BQMD0xYCAAEis58.jpg:large

PHWOAR the babe with the dog is a corker !!!!
This discussion has been closed.