planet x or ribble for cyclescheme

goldenbolux
goldenbolux Posts: 48
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I kow you will probably be sick of people asking the same stuff all the time but i honestly dont know what to get next.
i want to take advantage of the cyclescheme one last time before i come off my shift pattern and loose the tax benefits.
I currently have a merida ride lite 91 which I use to commute on a couple of times a week which is just under a 50 mile return trip and also use other days when off for rides of between 30 - 80 mile. I also have a cyclocross 3 which I use during the winter and on trails and cycle paths in the bad weather and a 29er for when we all go out on various types of bikes.

I am looking for something lighter and quicker but still about the cyclescheme price range. My LBS dont offer the sort of value planet x and ribble can offer.I am led to believe that my merida has fairly relaxed geometry so am looking to tighten this up but not to be wiggo in a day or anything. I have had a look but cant seem to find any reviews of the newer ribble sportive racing to see if this would fit what i am after. it seems quite good value, also help on campy v the 2 shimano offering would be good. I dont have very big hands so was vearing towards the campy but not sure if that is the correct way to go as things i have read say they need setting up all of the time. Is this the bike in the ribble range that would suit what i need best ?
As for the planet x which of the 2 models the pro carbon or rt-58 would suit me better. There seems to be some good deals currently on there ready to ride offerings.

As you can tell from my request i havent got much of a clue of where to go next and any advice will be gratefully received

thanks in advance

i also see there is a planet x code but think this will be a bit too risky to use on a cyclescheme. has anyone ever done this successfully

Comments

• regarding the cyclescheme for Ribble and Planet X, firstly check the small print as you may have to pay a premium (10% or so) on top of the cost of the bike so just check this before you get your heart broken :-s

are you near any of the shops so you can see them in the flesh?

good luck in choosing your new ride :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • yeah i know that there is a small cost involved which is payed directly

unfortunately i am miles away from the shop that is why i have tried to seek advice from others on here who have first hand experience of the models and who know a lot more than me

thanks
  • I have an RT-58 and it is certainly a more relaxed geometry than the Pro Carbon. I believe the RT-57 sits somewhere in the middle.

When I was buying my 58 I was convinced from the data that I needed a medium frame but after making the trip across to their showroom I quickly found out I needed a large.

Best thing I would say, if it is too far to visit them, is give them a call and discuss what you want and the best fit for you. Don't rely on email as they are often not to great at responding.
  • from what i can gather the 57 in next then the pro carbon is the sportier
    anyone had any of the ribbles so i can compare
    thanks
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Go for the code - why not? You can get cyclescheme on sale or discounted prices from any bike shop that allows it (its not a stipulation of cyclescheme itself that it has to be full rrp). I bought a sale bike from Planet X & Winstanleys in the past (although no code involved). Both these shops & Ribble charge around 50 quid or 10% for cyclescheme I think - its still worth doing though.

If you flip a stem on a roadbike you can get a more upright / relaxed position anyway - so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The shop can advise too. The main thing though is that it fits you more generally - read up on that. I think the planet x website has quite a bit of info on that. Ask on here too, once you have decided on which bike. All good value options by the way.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • was gonna give it a try but you can only purchase the customisable bikes with a cyclescheme online
    i have emailed to ask about the ready to ride on the scheme but havent had a reply yet
    thought i had a look and the pro carbon rival was 999 for ready and custom and rt-57 was 999 for ready and custom . After having a good look at them i had decided on the rt-57 with force. When i went back to the website after doing all my research the 57 force ready was 999 and the custom was 1299. So either i was just getting figure drunk off looking backwards and forwards or the price went up !! well back to the drawing board again
  • From my post above:-

"Don't rely on email as they are often not too great at responding."

Give them a call and ask plus get the name of the person you talk to. I have no doubt they are very busy hence a lot of emails go unanswered.