Possible muppet wheel question

silverpigeon
silverpigeon Posts: 327
edited November 2014 in Cyclocross
So my first cyclocross frame arrived today and I'm struggling to find a decent CX Disc wheelset. LBS says I can't run 29in 'MT'B wheels on the frame (Kinesis Pro6) but internet seems to say otherwise.

What's the true story and any recommendations for a decent wheelset around the £250 mark.

Many thanks
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    There's no reason why you can't run MTB 29er wheels on a Pro 6. The wheels will fit but you can have problems with some tyres due to the wider rim apparently.

For up to £250 the Kinesis CX Disc wheels are supposed to be pretty good.
  • Superstar do some great wheelsets without breaking the bank http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/alex-rims-black-dragon-cx-disc-switch-hubs.htm they're really big in mtb, but people still overlook them for road componentry! they'll also do custom builds if you wanted something different. I think the ability to run 29er wheels is dependent upon the tyre width/ rim width you're looking to use, if you want a wider tyre and use a narrower rim you should be able to get away with it!
  • Using Switch ULTRA Black Dragon Wheelset on my self build. £130pr, 1793g - so light(ish) and cheap - so far so good.