Nicked For Speeding - Jeremy Vine

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    He added in a tweet: "When I got to the office @BBCRadio2 and said I was radar-gunned at 16mph on my bicycle, producer said: YOU ARE LIVING ON THE EDGE."
    :lol:
  • and said I was machine-gunned at 16mph on my bicycle,."

That would have made me happier. Can't stand the man.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    (whoever he is)

Famous for having a brother who's a poor version of Milton Jones?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pufftmw wrote:
    (whoever he is)

Why do people do this? JV is famous for being JV; R4 reporter, journalist, current affairs presenter, radio show host. His brother is on a par with Milton, not better or worse, but similar. Pretending that you don't know who he is and levelling that criticism of him is as churlish as it gets. :roll:
  • Over-reaction much? :roll:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I got him mixed up with Jeremy Kyle. I was going nuts trying to think who his brother is.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well the royal parks claim they can apply speed limits on cyclists, its the same deal with Richmond Park, though my learned friends have always said it would be on incredibly shaky legal grounds trying to force a fine through.

Id be more interested to know how mr royal parks plod clocked the speed, as car speeding checks generally work as they have nice wide frontal areas, cyclists generally arent that wide, and have lots of bits that reflect signals back all over the shop, chuck in a sea of people and who knows what he picked up on his hairdryer (wasnt there a story once that some cops in Wales tried to speed check a low flying RAF Tornado and it responded by sending out either a missile lock or radar jam signal that complete toasted their equipment).

Ive managed to set off one of those slow down your going faster than 30mph signs, yet Ive never topped more than 25mph with gravity assist and a strong tail wind.

and if that clip of the video is the bit he was "speeding" in, thats the slowest 16mph Ive ever seen.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    CiB wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    (whoever he is)

Why do people do this? JV is famous for being JV; R4 reporter, journalist, current affairs presenter, radio show host. His brother is on a par with Milton, not better or worse, but similar. Pretending that you don't know who he is and levelling that criticism of him is as churlish as it gets. :roll:
    I can be more churlish than that.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    awavey wrote:
    (wasnt there a story once that some cops in Wales tried to speed check a low flying RAF Tornado and it responded by sending out either a missile lock or radar jam signal that complete toasted their equipment).
    Subject: Top this for a speeding ticket...

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident, while checking for speeding motorists on the A-1 Great North Road .

One of the officers (who are not named) used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300mph. The machine then stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet over the North Sea , which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style. 'Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had automatically locked on to your 'hostile radar equipment' and sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, the Sidewinder Air-to-ground missiles aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also locked on to the target. Fortunately the Dutch pilot flying the Tornado responded to the missile status alert intelligently and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile was launched'.
  • That story has been debunked no end of times... you can tell how untrue it is from the fact that a sidewinder is an air to air missile, not to mention all the physics involved in RADAR types and ranges etc etc...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    That story has been debunked no end of times... you can tell how untrue it is from the fact that a sidewinder is an air to air missile, not to mention all the physics involved in RADAR types and ranges etc etc...

Good spot. Yes indeed I don't thing a sidewinder would ever be described as air-to-ground. Great story though.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I also doubt that the missile would have automatically fired if it detects a radar signal on the plane! Could lead to some very bad international incidents.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    There is no 5MPH limit, it was a made-up "zone" for a safety awareness exercise. It was not an enforcement exercise and no fines were issued.
  • POHB wrote:
    There is no 5MPH limit, it was a made-up "zone" for a safety awareness exercise. It was not an enforcement exercise and no fines were issued.

But that is no fun. Imagine J. Vine's bike had misiles and anti-radar equipment too. It's more fun to imagine taking out a radar gun speeding trap from you speeding bike. However I always used to say that if I ever got a speeding ticket in a 30mph or faster zone I would pay it up ask for a full copy of all paperwork, take photos with the copper who gave me the ticket and frame it for the wall. I got to within 2mph of a 60mph zone once but all the 30mph areas near me I never quite get close to. Plus any section with a speed camera on and I'm lucky to reach 24mph on those stretches.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except nearly all coppers user Laser now......radar is so 1990's!

It is categorical that a bike cannot be speeding on normal roads as the limits apply to mechanically propelled vehicles only, the RP plod claim that the RP byelaws are different (they are) making the limit enforceable on bikes (Which I don't accept as it happens).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.