BB30 on a track frame?

imposter2.0
imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
edited November 2014 in Track
Apart from the obvious limitation in terms of available chainset options, are there any other drawbacks to a BB30 track frame?

I'm not a fan of BB30 anyway, but I'm guessing there is no other practical reason (other than choice) why it could not be used?

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Track cranks are designed to be very close to the shell on short axles. Any BB30 design would start moving those out on a longer axle design with possible implications on flex and clearance (on an indoor track).

There is a new Stronglight track crank with an integral BB but I've not seen one to see how that works. It's a 130BCD anyway so I personally wouldn't consider/use it on the track anyway.

Personally I think the external bearing style BBs have too much friction for track application. Not sure how they would stand up to a sprinter's input either.

The Sugino Superlap BBs I use with Ceramic Speed bearings just spin and spin in a way I've never seen any of my road-based BB30s run including Dura Ace ones. And all I have to do with the Suginos is clean them once a season and apply a small amount of lube to keep them spinning like that.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That's interesting thanks Eddy, I hadn't considered the axle width issue...
  • BB30 use the same width as a 68mm shell, its just the diameter of the shell that's different. So a bb30 track cranset would give the same(ish) q factor as a normal square taper of octalink bb.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    But the thing is and perhaps what I didn't explore in my 1st response: are the frame manufacturers going to build frames for BB30s when the track frame market is already extremely small and when there is nothing really 'wrong' with the format we currently use?

It's going to take a big leap of faith by a few to influence the whole market and fully change the format as has take place on road bikes.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.