Trail/AM/29/HT/FS? With 2000-3500 budget?

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm trying to work out what description or bracket of MTB is the right one for me. I've read quite a few guides but I'm still confused as to how much travel, whether I'm looking for All Mountain, Trail, XC or something else?

To summarise (if you don't want to read it all):-

- I have a decent XC bike for long non-gnarly days, pootling, bridleways, however I find it's steep HA a bit of a handfull when things get more technical
- Would like something confidence inspiring for trail centres, loops in the Lakes which are more technical than simple bridleway XC outings
- Something with good balance of handling, up and downhill ability and weight
- I haven't ever tried full sus
- I've not ridden a 29er
- I'm 6'1" and averagely proportioned so a web-only buy in a large is probably going to be okay
- Erring towards full-sus and would want something that is going to work out of the box and could up the budget if need be. I don't know enough of the technicalities at the moment to be able to tweak suspension too much myself or even know what is good and less so (read a lot where people change to different shocks from stock, I wouldn't know where to start so may as well get something decent to start with)
- I'm quite picky with my road bikes and like good equipment and set up, I'm pretty practical, have a wide ranging tool set and will quickly learn about the latest stuff and will do my own maintanence where required
- would like something to grow into
- with other purchases I've started cheaper and worked my way up, this is my only opportunity to get something reasonably decent so want to get something that suits from the off
- I live in NW Lancs so have easy access to lots of places to ride
- With unlimited budget my guess is a modern 29 HT and a high spec full-sus AM/trail bike with 120-140 mm travel would cover me for everything I'd want to do (fun trips and longer mixed up XC rides) but as budget is not unlimited I'm erring towards just the full sus trail bike
- Another possibility is to rebuild my Orange E8 with a more slack, possibly steel frame for HT fun and then another bike to fill any holes
- Happy to build whole bike, including wheels

Can anyone help me narrow down options to type(s) of bike, suitable travel, brands and things/pitfalls to avoid? I really appreciate your help.

Non-summarised version:-

I appreciate no-one can probably answer exactly for me but if you can help me narrow it down I can then at least start to see what sort of bikes I can try.

Background: I have an original Clockwork Orange that I still ride. I love its stability and easy handling, I assume it is a little bit slack at the front end.

I also have an Orange E8 World Cup that I find a bit twitchy and unstable but great uphill and for general XC. I do find it a bit of a handful at trail centres and have been over the bars more than once.

I expect that will have more to do with my bike handling skills but still I would like to buy a bike that balances stability for downhills and speed, inspire confidence whilst still being manageable uphill. I'm a pretty fit roadie and a good climber and won't mind a little bit of extra heft going uphill (but of course lighter is better) and have done a few 50-100 mile long off road routes in the Lakes and I'm ok on the red trails in Lakes and Lancs.

I should have a fairly decent budget come the New Year (2000-3500) and would like to fill the gap that my XC isn't so good at whilst still being able to ride it all day should I want to as I'll only be riding one bike at a a time.

Bikes I've been looking at:-

Nukeproof Mega
http://www.ubyk.co.uk/nukeproof-mega-am-pro-2015/20554

Cube Stereo
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-ste ... tAodGEcAxQ

Santa Cruz Bronson
http://www.ubyk.co.uk/santa-cruz-bronso ... tAodgWsAXQ

Whyte G150
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... lsrc=aw.ds

Lapierre 829
http://www.mtbmonster.com/lapierre-zest ... o_s=gplauk

Canyon Nerve
http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/ ... ve-al.html

Mondraker Foxy R
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mon ... lsrc=aw.ds

When I bought my Clockwork in 93 it was the only bike to have, things were much simpler then!

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    And the bike you missed out, http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3558

Its a better spec than the Whyte for the same money
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think the Nukeproof Mega AM would be a bit overkill for what you want.
    The Bronson is also possibly a bit overkill and by the time you add a half decent fork and shock to replace the very basic Sector fork and CTD shock you're up to nearly £4k.
    I would probably go for a Kona Process 134, Rose Granite Chiefe or maybe a Nukeproof Mega TR but upgrade the shock.
  • thanks both, really like the look of the Mega TR. Will have a good look at all those you both suggested. What sort of shock should I be ideally looking for? Is it something to get the LBS to swap? Or buy afterwards and sell on the original? Ta
  • rockmonkeysc
    I just sold on my original shock, 9 months old and I got £130 for it. The original shock is really harsh. I changed mine for a Cane Creek DB Inline which is a huge improvement, if you buy from TF Tuned they do a really good basic set up for you to tweek from.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Mondraker Foxy all the way, awesome to ride and while the spec isn't the best the ride definitely makes up for it. The stereo 140 is also a great shout, but afaik they aren't gonna be available until March. The spec is insanely good for the money and initial reviews seem very, very favorable.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    robertpb wrote:

this one or the cube stereo with a different shock would probably be my choice
  • rockmonkeysc
    Also worth considering the Banshee Spitfire V2. Very nice bike.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Top end of the budget I would put something like the Santa Cruz Solo (I ride a Bronson but would be on a Solo in the UK) - go for the alloy X1 AM build, Sektor fork isn't the greatest but at least its not a budget Fox. Comes in slightly over your budget at 3900 though. There is an upgrade option to a Pike which pushes it up another 400 quid and would give you a solid, high end, grow into it bike for the future.

But compared to a Spectral at half the price......you'd have to really want it!

Rocky Mountain Altitude BC Edition or the Thunderbolt BC edition would be high on my lists too. Not sure what UK pricing would be on them but they are so pretty they double as artwork in your house too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thanks all, plenty to mull over. Appreciate your help
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    If you can wait till On-one get the new Codeine frames back in (they've had a few quality issues apparently) I would highly recommend one. Had a Kona coilair and steel hardtail both 26 inch wheels, wouldn't go back now, gives so much confidence my riding has been transformed.
  • Trek Remedy 9 is worth a shout in 27.5" guise. I know Trek generates mixed feelings but this is genuinely a decent bike to ride.

Otherwise if you wait till early Spring the new Bird Aeris is meant to be a very capable bike and the demo bikes are already getting some very positive reviews.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd also recommend the Mega TR. Mine has been amazing, and I've not regretted buying the AM version on all but the gnarliest of trails. The TR is a super capable, fast, well handling bike as it is. I don't feel the need to compromise climbability for better descending, because for my riding, it does all I ask of it.
    I say that, it has been down fort bill, some super gnarly downhill tracks in scotland, and a lot of nasty stuff up here in north wales too, and for the most part, it's taken it like a champ! Seriously, get one! Best bike I've ever owned.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5