Finally figured out the tilting saddle carbon rails problem

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Using a clamp with notches on - the saddle tilts back. Tightening the bolt to about 12-15 Nm - the saddle still tilts back.

The reason is, when the carbon rails get clamped, they gradually compress. As you ride (it only took me about one mile) CLICK and it tilts back one notch. I go to sort it and the bolt is nearly finger loose. No point attempting to use the clamp now thats happened - its worn off the notches and all it will do now is just tilt back under even less stress than it currently does.

There is absolutely no way around this that I can see except to go back to metal rails.

I have had enough of carbon now seriously, its just stupid. Well its not stupid for racing, its just dangerous, but thats the nature of racing and so you can't beat it for that purpose.

I've gone from worshipping carbon fiber to laughing at how s**t it is (because of its obvious impracticalities in terms of real-world usage) in the space of about 6 months. Its not a China issue either, its a carbon fiber issue. Countless "real" carbon fiber items also break. Its not even expensive anymore lol. I remember what carbon fiber frames used to cost in the 1990s, don't even ask.

If it isn't breaking it is compressing, if it isn't compressing it is breaking.

This was a winter political broadcast brought to you by the Guilty Party. :lol:

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Manc33 wrote:
    Using a clamp with notches on - the saddle tilts back. Tightening the bolt to about 12-15 Nm - the saddle still tilts back.

The reason is, when the carbon rails get clamped, they gradually compress. As you ride (it only took me about one mile) CLICK and it tilts back one notch. I go to sort it and the bolt is nearly finger loose. No point attempting to use the clamp now thats happened - its worn off the notches and all it will do now is just tilt back under even less stress than it currently does.

There is absolutely no way around this that I can see except to go back to metal rails.

I have had enough of carbon now seriously, its just stupid. Well its not stupid for racing, its just dangerous, but thats the nature of racing and so you can't beat it for that purpose.

I've gone from worshipping carbon fiber to laughing at how s**t it is (because of its obvious impracticalities in terms of real-world usage) in the space of about 6 months. Its not a China issue either, its a carbon fiber issue. Countless "real" carbon fiber items also break. Its not even expensive anymore lol. I remember what carbon fiber frames used to cost in the 1990s, don't even ask.

If it isn't breaking it is compressing, if it isn't compressing it is breaking.

This was a winter political broadcast brought to you by the Guilty Party. :lol:

I blame Wiggle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I blame his parents..
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    There seems to be less seatposts available in 29.8mm than there was in 31.6mm.

Thomson do the Elite in that size, but it isn't setback - their setback one isn't available in that size.

That to me seems improbable, but there it is. I mean its improbable that someone could look for a ceratin component and again and again find it doesn't exist.

So I need a shim then I guess.

At this rate I think I might just get a motorbike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Manc33 wrote:
    At this rate I think I might just get a motorbike.

If you need links to any motorcycle forums, just ask...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    What will you do when you decide to put drop bars on the motorbike?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Is he going to race the motorbike?
This discussion has been closed.