New, stronger chain needed

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I got my bike pinched a few months ago and I replaced it with a C'dale 29er. I've only ridden it a few times but have snapped the chain twice. It's a KMC but don't know anymore than that. It doesn't break on the speed links, it breaks at the pins. The two times it's broken has been on steep hills as I stand to put the power down, which results in a stem in the gut! So I'm after a better chain. Any advice what to get?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with KMC, excellent chains.

So possibly user error. Cross chaining or shifting under serious load.

Or maybe a faulty chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What gear are you in when climbing?
    Sounds like cross chain.
    you won't get much stronger than KMC.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    YBN make some very tough chains - but I agree with the above, KMC are as good as they get, my preferred choice.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    What chain is it? Specifically is it hollow pinned (KMC X10 SL)? If it is then its no surprise to me its breaking. Ive done several. Try downgrading to the regular ol' KMC X10.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited November 2014
    Who fitted the chain ? did it actually snap if so which part ? or did the link pull off the pin ?
    Either try a new chain by KMC as you would have lost confidence in the broken one or try something else.
    I use the cheaper Shimano and change them regular,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-chain
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    I've been riding Mtb's for years and road bikes for 3 and this has never happened before. The chain was the standard one the bike came with from Wheelies.

It breaks at the pin, not the speed link, so if you were to look at the chain it's a bit splayed out
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I've been riding Mtb's for years......this has never happened before

So just use whatever you have been using for the previous x number of years. :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check to see you don't have some damage or unmachined parts of the rings and cassette which are splaying the chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I’ve had a new bike from Wheelies, the chain broke on that. I’m not saying it was Wheelies fault but they did send me a new chain which has been fine for a number of years. I think KMC tend to stay brighter and cleaner than Shimano.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20