Wheelset dilema

nigelgos
nigelgos Posts: 128
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm about to send the freehub from my Fulcrum 5 back for a warranty claim. The thread at the end has broken (anyone come across this?).

In the mean time I can't be without a bike so....

Fulcrum 5's again £165 or Zondas at £255. Are the Zondas worth £90 more? - They are not much lighter.

They are all year round wheels, maybe if the Zondas are worth it I could use them until my replacement freehub arrives and then retire them until the summer. Another thing to note is that it will be going on a Shimano group bike.

Comments

• cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited November 2014
    Cant you borrow a wheel :-)

These wheels are reduced :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod109835
  • nigelgos
    I'm not a member of a club so don't know many other rodies.

These still seem a lot. What are your getting over the Fulcrum 5's at £165 (which is also quite a discount)?
  • If you are getting your current wheels replaced/repaired then just get something cheap as a spare set. Shimano R500/501 can be had for 70 quid the pair
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Get a Shimano Ultegra wheelset, at just over £200 the best value wheelset available. Rock solid and 1640g.
    (And you will not go back to your current wheels)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the cassette lockring thread does not just break. It give ways if the lockring is misthreaded. I do wonder if your warranty will be successful. Wouldn't it be cheaper just buy a few freehub?
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    2013 racing 5s at Merlin for 150 but I've just ordered these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/forza-cirru ... 72600.html

Alternatively why not just buy a rear whhel rather than a pair?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • nigelgos
    the cassette lockring thread does not just break. It give ways if the lockring is misthreaded. I do wonder if your warranty will be successful. Wouldn't it be cheaper just buy a few freehub?
    I don't think I've ever miss-threaded it. It's possible I may have over tightened it but I've never had a problem taking it off by hand with a small one foot lever (I'm not a muscley brute) so I doubt this too.
    passout wrote:
    2013 racing 5s at Merlin for 150 but I've just ordered these:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/forza-cirru ... 72600.html
    Alternatively why not just buy a rear wheel rather than a pair?
    Thanks for the link. The Fulcrum Racing 5's at Merlin are campy only.

The wheels have done about 6,300 miles since last November so I've had good use out of them and at some point I'll need a new pair anyway so I don't see the point in just replacing the rear wheel. Alternatively the freehub can be had for £55 but to me thats ~1/3 of the cost of a new 2015 Fulcrum 5 wheelset so seems silly.

Wiggle have agreed to price match bike-discount at £165 so unless anyone has better advice I think thats the route I'm going to take.

Does anybody want to add in on if the Zondas are worth ~£90 more over the Fulcrums.
  • nigelgos wrote:
    Does anybody want to add in on if the Zondas are worth ~£90 more over the Fulcrums.

Using an algorithm downloaded from Intheknowcycling blog, it turns out they are only worth 67.3 pounds more than the Fulcrum 5... so you need to bargain harder to get your ROI... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,035
    I know it's annoying when people throw more suggestions into the mix but Wiggle have the fulcrum racing quattro cxs for about 215 - supposed to have better seals so for winter use might be a thought - I've been using a pair and they have been reliable so far, taken a few hits in their stride, reliable. They are quite stiff and maybe a little harsh but that may be the bike rather than the wheels.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos wrote:

Using an algorithm downloaded from Intheknowcycling blog, it turns out they are only worth 67.3 pounds more than the Fulcrum 5... so you need to bargain harder to get your ROI... :wink:

Of course worth and value are subjective, but all I can go on is weight, I was just wondering if there are any other factors anyone would chip in with.

96g / £89.68 difference

1690g (Shimano freehub Fulcrum 5 2015)
    1594g (Shimano freehub Zonda 2015)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    As suggested somewhere above, just buy an R501 rear wheel and use that. Cheap as chips and you could use it for the turbo (or flog it on ebay to get most of your money back).
  • nigelgos
    Went for the R5's again.

I'll put the £90 difference over the Zondas to my N+1.