turbo trainers

steelem
steelem Posts: 199
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
hi all im looking at getting a turbo trainer & would like to also use with my computer - i have no idea how it all connects up or even what trainer i need - was gonna get a fluid pro cyclops - if i bought how do i connect it up to the PC???

Comments

• cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited November 2014
    Try something like the Tacx Satori :

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/trainers/satori-smart

Merlin Cycles is doing the best price I have seen
    http://www.merlincycles.com/tacx-t2400- ... 72724.html
  • steelem
    steelem Posts: 199
    ty cadseen - tacx keeps coming up -everywhere so yes ill look at this anyone else agree with tacx
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out trainerroad - all you need is a compatible turbo and your laptop and an ANT+ stick
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Tacx definitely although Elite do similar. I use a i-Flow VR but if you can afford it, I'd go for the Bushido. It needs no external power source and links to an i-Pad. I think it can also be connected to a PC.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Good choice. The Cycleops Fluid Pro is superb.
  • "Whahoo Kicker", seems to be the current gold standard for power based traning, and diverse computer connectivity. Not cheap at €1200 but surly the choice of champions.
  • Another option would be Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll with inride virtual power gizmo. Not cheap, but the RnR is apparently as close as it gets to on-road simulation, and the inride Bluetooth Smart additions is apparently as accurate as you need for power based training....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What are you going to do with the turbo exactly ?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Another option would be Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll with inride virtual power gizmo. Not cheap, but the RnR is apparently as close as it gets to on-road simulation, and the inride Bluetooth Smart additions is apparently as accurate as you need for power based training....
    There is a graph available for the Kurt Kinetic resistance unit which provides the relationship between wheel speed and power output. Therefore if you measure speed at your back wheel you can use your bike computer as a power meter while on the turbo by just specifying your zones in terms of speed.
    The road machine has the same resistance unit as the Rock and Roller so it's just as good in that respect but it's much cheaper (still not cheap) since it has a normal rigid frame like most turbos.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Another one to consider is the BKool trainer.
    It hooks up to a PC or Laptop and you can either do the pre-loaded rides, upload your own rides or there are videos you can do as well.
    I have one and haven't even scratched the surface of the options available.
    The resistance on the unit is automatically varied according to the gradient of the hill, and it is very realistic. It shows heart rate, cadence and power output.

I find it more motivating than a "standard" turbo trainer where you have to make up your own workouts.

They are £430 list price but I notice that Cycle Surgery have them on offer for £300 at the moment.
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... lsrc=aw.ds

I would recommend it, but it has also had some good reviews if you Google it.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol: