Croix De Fer 20 or Pinnacle Arkose Four?

matyboy
matyboy Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
I am buying myself another bike, I currently have a flat bar road bike and a mountain bike. The two bikes above look like my best options any opinions anyone.

I hate making choices like this, I am yet to test ride either. Will use for general commute, 12 miles each way but want something suitable for 100 mile rides while carrying some bits and pieces.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Test ride, its the only way to be sure.

FWIW - I tried out the Arkose range a little while ago. I almost bought one too, but the sizing wasn't right for me medium felt too small, and large too big. Went back to the shop twice to check too! The Arkose range seems really well put together - looks better quality than their road bike range IMO.

Between the two I'd probably go for the Pinnacle. Better value for money and weighs less too. But if you lust after a steel bike then the CDF is obvs the way to go.
  • The sale lady definitely had me on the hook with the Pinnacle and I will test ride them but you just don;t get long enough. I am hoping the lack of debate / responses indicates that I may have got it down to the right two bikes at least.

Thanks
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    The store I went to said take as long as you need. Could've gone off for an hour or more if I needed to.

As for choosing the right two bikes - personally I'd want something a bit racier / lighter for covering the bigger distances, but for the 12 miles each way these bikes would be perfect. When you say "while carrying some bits and pieces" do you mean you want to fit a rack?
  • To be honest I was thinking about loading it up with enough for a weekend camping trip, it'll give me an excuse to buy some light weight gadgets. Do you think I am being too restrictive in my search?
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Why are you buying a cross bike? Is part of your commute off-road?

If so then out of those two Genesis every day of the week. The Croix de Fer is great at what it does but there's a load of better alu cross bikes than Pinnacle on the market. I'd look at Kinesis, Rose, Ridley and Cannondale if you want alu rather than steel.

If what you really want is a solid and practical day to day/light touring bike then personally I'd be looking more widely. Something with disc brakes that will take 28s like the Whyte Suffolk maybe?
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,251
    I tried both bikes before buying the kinesis, I much preferred the Genesis out of those two. The Pinnacle didn't feel great to ride, whilst the Genesis felt more lively even though it was heavier.
  • As above. The Genesis is nigh on unbeatable. But if you want to do CX, not all that useful.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Wish we had an Evans in Southampton, I'd love to try a Pinnacle Arkose.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo