Danny Macaskill on the Thames tonight

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
Noticed a giant floating bike ramp on Embankment last night, with a loop do loop, anyone else see it, big blue thing?

Anyway, bit of digging and apparently Danny Macaskill is riding it at 6pm tonight, maybe worth a watch?

Comments

• It will take more than a mid-Thames loop the loop to impress me - I have seen a middle aged bloke on a Boris Bike filtering up the inside of a moving tipper truck on Lower Thames St with a Sainsbury's bag on one handlebar whilst holding an umbrella over his head
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was wondering what that was. I reckon I can be there at 6pm too.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Good tip-off! Where exactly is this, best place to watch?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Ian.B wrote:
    Between Embankment and Parliament Square. In theory you'd get a really good view from Embankment itself, but in practice I fear it'll be a complete zoo...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Ian.B
    TGOTB wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Between Embankment and Parliament Square. In theory you'd get a really good view from Embankment itself, but in practice I fear it'll be a complete zoo...
    OK thanks!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Seen a video of it online tonight but can't find it now.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Just been on Breakfast news.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Was all over very quickly. Saw a few people on bikes but no one I recognised.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    All a little bit 'Meh' really. Some Lumia/MS stunt. I have to use a Lumia for work, it's awful.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If Danny MacAskill says it's really technical and difficult, then I believe him, but it looked fairly unspectacular, which is a bit of a shame
  • Ian.B
    Nice to see the man himself in action, though as you say it was over a bit quickly. A shame too that that corporate hospitality boat parked itself right in front at the last minute.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Graeme_S wrote:
    If Danny MacAskill says it's really technical and difficult, then I believe him, but it looked fairly unspectacular, which is a bit of a shame
    It is technical as regards getting your centre of gravity and balance right with the competing G-forces but I agree it is a shame that it doesn't appear more spectacular.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Maybe they should have picked some random commuters watching to try it first thereby making it more impressive when he pulled it off.

I have seen him do exactly the same thing in one of his youtube videos so not sure what was meant to be special about this other than the size of the loop maybe being slightly bigger.
  • Not heard or read about Danny's take on doing the loop but I know from listening to Bob Burnquist and Tony Hawk talk about doing it on a skateboard it's apparently very, very difficult because of the various times you need to compress/extend to keep your line and drive.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    As il Principe says, its a stunt to promote Microsoft and that's all, so maybe that's all they paid for!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm not disputing how tough/technical it is. Love what Macaskill does. It just wasn't very exciting, a bit like the Nokia Lumia I guess...
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    This is where he did it before, more impressive because of the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv3xVOs7_No#t=314
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It just wasn't very exciting, a bit like the Nokia Lumia I guess...

They make a big point of Cortana dictating a message to Mum, something Android users have already been able to do.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Here's the full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC1KwpRPm7s

Pretty cool to watch close up, but over pretty quick.

All thanks to Cortana ;-)