105 11 speed problem chain coming off jockey wheel

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Ive just fitted an 11 speed 105 group set.
The chain is on the correct way and the limiter screws are all good.

The issue I'm having is the chain doesn't run straight on to the jockey wheel, it pulls off. It's like the chain line is to much but it's all set correctly.
I've built 11 speed Ultegra groupsets on to the same frame multiple times and had no issues.
It's just the 105.
compact crank, 11-25 cassette. 11 speed wheels.

Comments

• ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    Bent derailleur hanger maybe?
  • Hi, I am looking to change to the 105 Groupset with compact crank, 11-32 cassette because I am getting on in years and I hope this will help me get up the hills a little easier, would like any advice on whither I am going the correct way or not
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    johnwill wrote:
    Hi, I am looking to change to the 105 Groupset with compact crank, 11-32 cassette because I am getting on in years and I hope this will help me get up the hills a little easier, would like any advice on whither I am going the correct way or not

This topic has recently been addressed in the "Road Buying Advice" section.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13001164

Just make sure you specify a medium (GS) cage rear derailleur - other than that you should be good to go. And yes - you will see the benefit of the extra 32 tooth cog for spinning up steep hills. I currently run a 12-30 cassette with a 50/34 crankset and with that I can get away with the short cage derailleur. For the 32 tooth largest cog you will need to specify a medium cage.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ive just fitted an 11 speed 105 group set.
    The chain is on the correct way and the limiter screws are all good.

The issue I'm having is the chain doesn't run straight on to the jockey wheel, it pulls off. It's like the chain line is to much but it's all set correctly.
    I've built 11 speed Ultegra groupsets on to the same frame multiple times and had no issues.
    It's just the 105.
    compact crank, 11-25 cassette. 11 speed wheels.

Have you run the chain through the derailleur correctly?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • arlowood wrote:
    johnwill wrote:
    Hi, I am looking to change to the 105 Groupset with compact crank, 11-32 cassette because I am getting on in years and I hope this will help me get up the hills a little easier, would like any advice on whither I am going the correct way or not

Just make sure you specify a medium (GS) cage rear derailleur - other than that you should be good to go. And yes - you will see the benefit of the extra 32 tooth cog for spinning up steep hills. I currently run a 12-30 cassette with a 50/34 crankset and with that I can get away with the short cage derailleur. For the 32 tooth largest cog you will need to specify a medium cage.
    Thanks Arlowood for that , just new here and didn't see it
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    johnwill wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    johnwill wrote:

Thanks Arlowood for that , just new here and didn't see it

NOTE: A GS 105 mech does NOT take 1 32T sprocket - it has the same (28T) maximum sprocket as the SS.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... _5800.html

Not sure why as you can't get an 11sp triple which is what the GS used to be for (in 105). However (as was pointed out to me) the Ultegra 11sp GS mech DOES take a 32T sprocket

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... _6800.html.

Go figure.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    However... I just stumbled across this...

"One possible solution is to use a Shimano Ultegra RD-6700 long-cage GS version to get the range you want, or even an SS cage if you have a modern carbon frame with vertical dropouts with a Shimano XT 11-32 10-speed cassette and your 10-speed shifters. This is not a Shimano-approved setup, but it will work fine.

Note:
    1. The GS cage is basically interchangeable between RD-6700 and RD-6800.

2. The 28T max rear cog capacity of all Shimano road rear derailleurs is based on horizontal, short Campy dropouts of the early 1980s.

3. The key to make it work is not adding chain links. Use the shortest possible big/big chain combination that doesn’t explode so that the small/small combination has no slack and the inner front chainring to the 32T rear combinations doesn’t interfere. Note there is also a 12-30 Ultegra cassette that easily works on modern bikes with the B-Tension screw turned all the way in.

4. Vertical-dropout carbon road bikes generally shift well with the XT 11-34 10-speed cassette, but you need to add two links, use the GS long cage, and reverse the B-Tension screw. This definitely is a case-by-case modification."

So it would seem that actual max capacity of the 105 SS/GS and Ultegra SS rear mechs are dependent on the drop-out geometry.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    However... I just stumbled across this...

"One possible solution is to use a Shimano Ultegra RD-6700 long-cage GS version to get the range you want, or even an SS cage if you have a modern carbon frame with vertical dropouts with a Shimano XT 11-32 10-speed cassette and your 10-speed shifters. This is not a Shimano-approved setup, but it will work fine.

Note:
    1. The GS cage is basically interchangeable between RD-6700 and RD-6800.

2. The 28T max rear cog capacity of all Shimano road rear derailleurs is based on horizontal, short Campy dropouts of the early 1980s.

3. The key to make it work is not adding chain links. Use the shortest possible big/big chain combination that doesn’t explode so that the small/small combination has no slack and the inner front chainring to the 32T rear combinations doesn’t interfere. Note there is also a 12-30 Ultegra cassette that easily works on modern bikes with the B-Tension screw turned all the way in.

4. Vertical-dropout carbon road bikes generally shift well with the XT 11-34 10-speed cassette, but you need to add two links, use the GS long cage, and reverse the B-Tension screw. This definitely is a case-by-case modification."

So it would seem that actual max capacity of the 105 SS/GS and Ultegra SS rear mechs are dependent on the drop-out geometry.

Thanks very much for all that information. I Have a better idea of what I am doing now. Cheers Guy's
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Is the chain running off the lower jockey wheel - especially when in higher gears? If so, you need to straighten your derailleur hanger!

If it's something else, please explain.