Fun descents near Radstock / Midsomer Norton

RadstockRider
RadstockRider Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Routes
Does anyone know any fun trails in woods near Radstock and Midsomer Norton? I'm looking for interesting bits to put into a local loop I can ride from my door. I don't mind if they're a little bit cheeky...

I've already got an OS map and I'm not after bridleways. I've googled for stuff too, but really haven't turned up much. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not a lot around Radstock unless you want to ride down slag heaps.
    There's some trails near Peasdown but not really worth the ride over there. Quite a lot around Bath and it's only half an hours ride over there. There is a club based in Bath, I forget what they are called but they will show you some local stuff.
  • Great, thanks very much for the advice!
  • Ska1975
    Ska1975 Posts: 48
    If you really like Cheeky then Ammerdown fits that bill I have never seen anyone up there but I reckon early morning or after dark would be okay. Don't ruin it for us dog walkers though.

There's loads of places to train on the other side of the hill form the Skate park in Midsomer and a few untamed downhill's (albeit v.v. short) either side of the old railway line. There is actually some trails build out of Westfield behind that god awful new estate and you can do very short but tough loops up around the Miner's path- really good training for longer stuff elsewhere.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You have just listed some of the worst riding i can imagine!
  • Ska1975
    Ska1975 Posts: 48
    You have just listed some of the worst riding i can imagine!

Each to their own- note I never said it was 'good' I just said it was good for training if you lived in the area and didn't want to go further afield.

Thanks for the input though, always good to get an encouraging nod.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Camerton Batch is just up the road and pretty good. There's some decent stuff between Bath, Coombe Down and Peasdown.
    Ammerdown has nothing that would be any good, it's too flat, it won't drain with all the clay in the dirt and there are just no features, I've never seen woods without tree roots before plus I know the estate caretaker fairly well, any new trails will be destroyed within days. The descent you suggest in Midsomer Norton would be maybe 15-20 second runs!