Long lasting road tyres

2»

Comments

• Daddy0 wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    BTW looked at Twitter today and there was an article recommending the best winter tyres on Cycling Weekly:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-te ... tyres-3139

The issue with that article is that, from what I can tell, they didn't *really* test the tyres? They could've at least ridden over some broken glass of tried pushing something sharp into the tread to see which was most resistant FWIW. They've basically just rewritten the sales spiel...

Having said that - I had been thinking about trying the Durano Plus's based on recommendations, but based on that article I think I'll try the Rubino Pro Techs next. :wink:

They could have been more definitive in their recommendation but they say the only thing stopping GP4S getting a 10 is the price. As they quote £47 as the price if you can get them for £34 then surely it would have won hands down.
  • Another shout for Duranos. Lively enough for such long lived tyres. Avoid the coloured ones. IME they only last 60-70% of the time the black ones do.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Daddy0 wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    BTW looked at Twitter today and there was an article recommending the best winter tyres on Cycling Weekly:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-te ... tyres-3139

The issue with that article is that, from what I can tell, they didn't *really* test the tyres? They could've at least ridden over some broken glass of tried pushing something sharp into the tread to see which was most resistant FWIW. They've basically just rewritten the sales spiel...

Having said that - I had been thinking about trying the Durano Plus's based on recommendations, but based on that article I think I'll try the Rubino Pro Techs next. :wink:

They could have been more definitive in their recommendation but they say the only thing stopping GP4S getting a 10 is the price. As they quote £47 as the price if you can get them for £34 then surely it would have won hands down.

Considering that I can get a pair of the newly released (new pattern and compound) 2015 folding Durano Plus for £48 including delivery, I would say £68 is still a lot of money, and yes GP4S are great tyres but nowhere as durable as Durano Pluses, and nowhere as tough.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Rubino pro for me. Grippy enough for the most demanding crit circuits in the dry and last a long time. However, if it's raining, they're useless. I can wheel spin them on the flat if I stamp on the pedals. That said unlike this new breed of cyclist who rides as he does in summer in winter conditions then asks why he keeps falling off I've not had an issue withhem if I ride corners sensibly.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    Rubino pro for me. Grippy enough for the most demanding crit circuits in the dry and last a long time. However, if it's raining, they're useless. I can wheel spin them on the flat if I stamp on the pedals. That said unlike this new breed of cyclist who rides as he does in summer in winter conditions then asks why he keeps falling off I've not had an issue withhem if I ride corners sensibly.

I agree with all of the above. Their Achilles heel is wet grip, but as long as you are aware of the issue it is usually OK. Can be a bit disconcerting when you put the power down out of the saddle and the back wheels starts spinning though!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Avoid 4 seasons. Nice fast tyre but puncture protection isnt up to much. I got just under 3000 miles out of the rear weighing only 70kg. Still using the front but wouldn't buy again. Replaced with Continental Grand Prix GT's cheap and more robust than the 4 seasons.
    +1 - punctures were happening every month or so, which is far too often for me, and the tyres wore fast, too. My new bike has a pair of Marathon+ - hassle free if rather harsh to ride on at 28mm.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm looking across to my bike sat against the office wall (inside) with a pair of 4seasons (23mm) on them. They're currently my wet tyre of choice - this is the second winter they'll have been through 2 seasons with varying usage.

The sidewalls aren't particularly tough though and I did get a slice through with some metal in the road - I've patched this up with some material tape & glue and the tyre is still going round (it's on the back so less of a bother if the mend fails - but it shows no sign of doing so).

I've used these tyres all year round, but now, with a choice of bikes and wheelsets I select the one most appropriate for conditions - right now I'm contemplating getting a wheelset ready with the studded tyres on - or I've got a set of specialized tyres that are bullet proof, they're also really heavy and don't roll very well so they're hard work too, but they've lasted forever and I've never had a deflating moment with them - which is key when it's dark, wet & (nearly) freezing ... but I'd rather have the GP4S on ...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    vermin wrote:
    Does anyone have experience of, or an opinion on, the:

Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite

I'm struggling to get hold of a tyre quickly and this one is to hand!
    I got on well with Espoir Sport and Elite, few punctures, 4000 miles or so, the Armadillo should be a lighter, more supple version.

I won't be buying Spesh Roubaix tyres ever again. Not after the sidewall on my rear tyre blew after two months, and the wall on the front started to fail after four months.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    cjcp wrote:
    vermin wrote:

I got on well with Espoir Sport and Elite, few punctures, 4000 miles or so, the Armadillo should be a lighter, more supple version.

I won't be buying Spesh Roubaix tyres ever again. Not after the sidewall on my rear tyre blew after two months, and the wall on the front started to fail after four months.

oh
    <approaches bike with caution>
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78

Specialized Roubaix tyres are excellent - they really feel as if you're riding over wet cobblestones whatever surface you're on!
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Specialized Roubaix tyres are excellent - they really feel as if you're riding over wet cobblestones whatever surface you're on!

Is that a good thing ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • vermin
    fat_tail wrote:

Is that a good thing ?

Sarcastic, I believe. But quite amusing. :lol:

However, my first impression, from 90 dry miles, is very positive.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    Having just espoused the longevity of my 4 season contis earlier in the thread, I had a puncture last night, at which point I noticed I've worn it through to the carcass at various points.

*ahem*
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Having just espoused the longevity of my 4 season contis earlier in the thread, I had a puncture last night, at which point I noticed I've worn it through to the carcass at various points.

*ahem*

At what mileage?
  • rick_chasey
    dodgy wrote:

*ahem*

At what mileage?

7,000kmish?

Maybe more.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699

*ahem*

I've found they don't stand up too well to skidding to a halt to avoid a taxi / white van / bus / car / pedestrian / cyclist that has braked / u-turned / changed lane / swerved / tried to kill you. Repeatedly.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • vermin
    dodgy wrote:

*ahem*

At what mileage?

7,000kmish?

Maybe more.

Knocks the 2000-mile Lugano into a cocked hat.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes but, no offends to your slender self - me and my bike weigh less than just you.
  • vermin
    Yes but, no offends to your slender self - me and my bike weigh less than just you.

:lol:
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    fat_tail wrote:

Is that a good thing ?

Sarcastic, I believe. But quite amusing. :lol:

However, my first impression, from 90 dry miles, is very positive.

Yes, tongue in cheek. Happy to hear your experience so far is better than mine. I found they gave an uncomfortable ride and they didn't give me confidence in cornering, especially in the wet.