Cassette Choice

jlowdo
jlowdo Posts: 48
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I started a thread yesterday to get some opinions on combinations of individual components on building a groupset ( thanks everyone ) and started picking up the bits across the internet.

I have a question around the cassette choice ( and by definition the rear D cage size ). I have bought a compact chainset, and where i live there are lots of hills, but this is specifically about the nasty short steep ones. The one physical problem i have is my right knee can give me a lot of gip and taking care of it can make the difference between daily rides and having to take time out to recover.

so, i am looking at the 11-32t with a compact, currently i use an 11-28t with a compact. I would have thought it obvious that the extra teeth will take a bit of strain out of my knee but is there any reason not to match such a big gear with the 50/34 on the front?

alternatively i can 'avoid' the hills, but i certainly don't want to do that!

cheers

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    No reason as long as the rear mech allows it. Wish mine could take a 11-32
  • jlowdo
    holding back on the choice of short or mid cage until i buy the cassette. just for that reason :)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    A medium cage will cope with all options. The only downside is that it carries a few more chain links so has a modest overall weight penalty.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • zx6man
    Long cage used to be only needed for triples I think
  • jlowdo wrote:
    I would have thought it obvious that the extra teeth will take a bit of strain out of my knee
    Yes it will - putting the emphasis on spinning up hills rather then grinding will tend to stress the cardiovascular system more than the musculoskeletal system (that mean knees mostly in climbing!).
    jlowdo wrote:
    but is there any reason not to match such a big gear with the 50/34 on the front?

No reason at all - SRAM Wi-Fli is the way to go. What I have read is that it was invented by Contador when he asked the mechanics to put a 11-32 and MTB rear derailleur on for a particularly hilly stage. I think he was still on a double at front but SRAM developed it for Compact and created the WI-Fli rear derailleurs. If using other makes check that the rear derailleur will cope as (AFAIK) not all medium cages will go to 32 some max out at 28.

Happy spinning and remember stay seated and breathe your way to the top - your knees would thank you if they could speak :D
  • jlowdo
    whoaa! just seen the price of the SRAM stuff.. i was thinking more along the U6800 med. cage with the matching 11-32t.

Spinning is fine, it's the strain that causes the problem as you rightly mentioned.

and, a few extra chain links, well, i can compensate for that by avoiding the 'big purple' quality street tin this Christmas :D
  • zx6man
    jlowdo wrote:
    and, a few extra chain links, well, i can compensate for that by avoiding the 'big purple' quality street tin this Christmas :D

That will never happen.
  • jlowdo wrote:
    whoaa! just seen the price of the SRAM stuff.. i was thinking more along the U6800 med. cage with the matching 11-32t.

As long as the RD matches the cassette size you will be fine. Personally I think there is a lot of BS and smoke and mirrors in the pricing of bike stuff but I would invest in derailleurs as its one place where IME you definitely do feel the difference in quality of shifts with better models.

PS - Not an SRAM fanboy its just what I have always used cause the hood shape feel better to me than Shimano.
  • jlowdo
    I assume the shimano will work ok as they are both part of the same set? the 11p SRAM looks a bit pricey
  • I have Ultegra 50-34 11 speed with 11-32 on all my bikes now. Love it.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just built up a flat bar bike for my grandson for his Christmas.

15486596682_5d7812f652_b.jpg

He's coming from doing all his cycling on an MTB so I decided to do a compromise drivetrain using a CX chainset (Shimano CX50 - 46/36) and a Shimano SLX HG81-10 cassette (11-32) This was matched with a 105 5700 medium cage rear derailleur and some Ultegra R780 flat bar shifters.

All works a treat so I'm sure your compact 50/34 combined with an 11-32 cassette will be fine using a medium cage (GS) rear derailleur
  • jlowdo
    Thanks all. U6800 Rear D (Med Cage) and 11-32t on the way.. running out of bits i need to buy before i start my build now!! :)