Shimano Xtr m985 (race version) crank set.

granny_ring
granny_ring Posts: 28
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, all

After some advise please I'm currently running m970 (9speed) set up, however I've seen a deal on the above double xtr crank m980 is there any issues running this set up as I don't want to start changes everything.

I would of went with the previous xtr variant but can't find a good condition one, I've tried search engine but doesn't give me a direct answer.

Thanks all
Yetitribe

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will work fine, no problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Will work fine, no problem.

Thanks heard mixed comments about running issues.
    Yetitribe
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Watch out for the qfactor. Race 980s are very narrow iirc.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not that narrow, never seen any real issues.
  • benpinnick
    I had to reroute the cables on my zesty due to them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • granny_ring
    granny_ring Posts: 28
    edited November 2014
    benpinnick wrote:

Are the axles different size on the m980/ m985
    Could you explain please :?
    Yetitribe
  • Well still waiting for the crankset to arrive, also can I use my existing xt BB the Hollow tech type.

Only issue I've heard about is the ghost shifting on the triple set up ?
    Yetitribe
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    benpinnick wrote:

Q factor ?

Could you explain please :?

Yep
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad lol

Sorted regards to the Q factor, :)
    Yetitribe
  • I've received an email today that In fact the xtr crank is the race version m985 and not the trail type m980.

Will this still fit my mojo as can't find any info on the m985 version.

Many thanks
    Yetitribe
  • benpinnick
    The m985 is different in two ways - its the one with the narrow q factor, and it has bigger rings. The bigger rings is a personal thing but you might find them hard work, or perhaps just leaving you with two sets of gears you constantly change between, and the q factor may effect the fit. As above, most bikes it will be fine, but on some you'll find that Q factor becomes a problem.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    The m985 is different in two ways - its the one with the narrow q factor, and it has bigger rings. The bigger rings is a personal thing but you might find them hard work, or perhaps just leaving you with two sets of gears you constantly change between, and the q factor may effect the fit. As above, most bikes it will be fine, but on some you'll find that Q factor becomes a problem.

Thanks for the info fingers crossed I will have no issues, however Sod's law it won't fit!
    Emailed ibis cycles awaiting on there feedback as there machines are the m980 set up :?
    Yetitribe