Those out at dark - rears are just as important! !

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited November 2014 in Road general
Now winter hours are setting in, lights are a must if commuting or going out on a ride where you may be caught out by the light/conditions. HOWEVER...

There seems to be a majority that think a super bright or multiple flashing christmas tree of front lights are good enough.

I see way too many with all the lights up front, and a crappy single dim red light at the back!!!. I don't think these folks know how poorly visible they are for drivers approaching from behind.

I was almost caught out driving home last week by a cyclist on a busy unlit A road. He had two heavy duty fronts dazzling away, but the rear light was a single dim flashing one! (another bug bare- have a constant + flashing FFS!)

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's the bobbers who a) have their rucksacks covering their back lights because they didn't spend 30 seconds thinking about light placement or b) have their lights hanging off their rucksacks so you can't see them that bother me. F'tard a, the lot of them

Lights. Visible. On back of bicycle. It's not that difficult.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Better than none at all , saw several tonight. I use 2 front , 2 back and a dual facing on lid.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I actually feel more comfortable without a front light than without a back light (although obviously uncomfortable without both!). Get much more nervous about cars coming from behind than from in front.
  • I'd say the rear lights are more important than the front- esp in cities as you can see what's happening in front of you, but you have to rely on others to avoid you from behind.

I tend to have two independent lights on the back when out in the dark just in case one fails mid ride- I won't be able to tell if one conks out as I would if the front goes.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Rear light is the more important of the two by a long shot, although both are necessary.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    So whats the recommended for daylight rear running light to make drivers back off when waiting at junctions and traffic lights? Slightly effed off sometimes by creepy drivers creeping up to within 2 inches of my leg .. something they wouldnt do to a ton and half of metal.
  • Give the car a stroke, especially if they are in ASL areas.
  • JGSI wrote:
    So whats the recommended for daylight rear running light to make drivers back off when waiting at junctions and traffic lights? Slightly effed off sometimes by creepy drivers creeping up to within 2 inches of my leg .. something they wouldnt do to a ton and half of metal.

I got a Lezyne Micro Drive for that very purpose - it crazy bright on the day time setting; I've had several drivers comment on it. If you want really really insane brightness though get a cheapo 501 Cree LED torch and put a red balloon over the end - most will only strobe though so would work as an insanely bright red constant not a flasher.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I commute on the Bath Bristol railway path. Half of it has no street lighting and goes through woods so it pitch black. There seems to be a few riders who when they get to it turn off their rear light, I can only presume to save the battery. I did ask one guy why he thought this a good idea and was told that if I was approaching him front behind I would see him with my front light. Problem is you only see an unlit object when you are a few 10s metres away (as opposed to 100s with a rear light) and if there is someone coming towards both of you with a bright front light any reflectives on the person in front are totally bleached out by the glear.

In short turn your light on.
  • ai_1
    JGSI wrote:

I got a Lezyne Micro Drive for that very purpose - it crazy bright on the day time setting; I've had several drivers comment on it. If you want really really insane brightness though get a cheapo 501 Cree LED torch and put a red balloon over the end - most will only strobe though so would work as an insanely bright red constant not a flasher.
    Bright and visible is good. Blinding is bad.

What is wrong with people that they think irritating and perhaps endangering other road users is acceptable and even preferred.
    When a vehicle approaches me from behind, I want them to see me well in advance. I want them to be able to tell I'm a cyclist. I want an them to be able to see where I am on the road and judge my distance. They can then decide how and when best to safely overtake me.
    I do not want them blinded and angry with me. Unable to see clearly past me to oncoming traffic and the road ahead. Furthermore, if a driver is sitting behind a cyclist with a stupidly bright rear light they'll be very anxious to get past as quick as possible. This combined with them likely being (justifiably) quite annoyed with you and unable to see properly is a recipe for more danger, not less.
    Cop on and use appropriate lights, not the brightest and most blinding you can find.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Bloke in my street commutes on a mountain bike where the rear lights are blocked by his upward pointing mudguard.
  • Work a couple of night shifts each week and always pass a fella in the evening commuting home (by bike) in the dark on a poorly lit road. Two rear lights, one seat post and one helmet, seem a very effective combo and can spot him from a fair distance off.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes - the whaletail guards do block the rear light quite often. I'm amazed that the rider cant spot this.

I've also seen the light down low on the chainstay and blocked completely on the near side by the wheel/rim.

Or blocked by a bag on the rack on the back of the bike.

Or blocked by the riders work coat-tail coming down over the light.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I'd say the rear lights are more important than the front- esp in cities as you can see what's happening in front of you, but you have to rely on others to avoid you from behind.

I tend to have two independent lights on the back when out in the dark just in case one fails mid ride- I won't be able to tell if one conks out as I would if the front goes.

What about people who can't see you from the front because you have no front light? Right turning traffic coming the other way for example.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    ... If you want really really insane brightness though get a cheapo 501 Cree LED torch and put a red balloon over the end -....

No need to do that. You can get a red 501b :shock:

http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-p ... GyLwBZmNbI
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Lezyne Micro Drive daylight running mode is excellent.....although you wont get much more than 1-1.5 hrs on that mode before it switches to "emergency", mode.

The newer bracket actually angles the light downwards a bit to avoid dazzling traffic- illuminating the area on the road behind the bike more, which is probably more effective from a drivers point of view.
  • jgsi
    Lezyne Micro Drive daylight running mode is excellent.....although you wont get much more than 1-1.5 hrs on that mode before it switches to "emergency", mode.

The newer bracket actually angles the light downwards a bit to avoid dazzling traffic- illuminating the area on the road behind the bike more, which is probably more effective from a drivers point of view.

These are much better answers than the condescending one.....
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Ai_1 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

What is wrong with people that they think irritating and perhaps endangering other road users is acceptable and even preferred.
    When a vehicle approaches me from behind, I want them to see me well in advance. I want them to be able to tell I'm a cyclist. I want an them to be able to see where I am on the road and judge my distance. They can then decide how and when best to safely overtake me.
    I do not want them blinded and angry with me. Unable to see clearly past me to oncoming traffic and the road ahead. Furthermore, if a driver is sitting behind a cyclist with a stupidly bright rear light they'll be very anxious to get past as quick as possible. This combined with them likely being (justifiably) quite annoyed with you and unable to see properly is a recipe for more danger, not less.
    Cop on and use appropriate lights, not the brightest and most blinding you can find.

I agree. A mate has a Knog Blinder which he was using on a day ride we were on. I had to ask him to turn it off eventually, following him was a real pita. I would have done more at the front but he's bionic, and I'm...average...
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    RichK wrote:
    ... If you want really really insane brightness though get a cheapo 501 Cree LED torch and put a red balloon over the end -....

No need to do that. You can get a red 501b :shock:

http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-p ... GyLwBZmNbI

Because the balloon trick drops the brightness to the point you can look straight at the light without blinding yourself and also diffuses it. If you leave a little nipple of balloon dangling off the end the heat of the torch inflates this so that you have a glowstick that actuall shines light sideways as well. In fact, there is no need to point the torch backwards at traffic at all, just align it vertically with your seatpost so that it's pointing up at your arse and set it on SOS blink.

The red glass filters for 501/502 torches don't do any of that and the red Luxeon emitters aren't anywhere as bright as a XM-L with balloon over it.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Ai_1 wrote:

While I agree with you completely in theory, I am often (justifiably) quite annoyed when driving my car, and some c*ck with super bright LED type headlights (as used in most modern Audi's as well as many other newer makes and models) slots in behind me for a couple of miles, forcing me to turn my rear view mirror upwards. It makes me angry, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it as people think they give better illumination and so will continue to use them regardless of my feelings.
    This is why I have no problem using bright lights on my bike. It may upset some, but then my very presence on a bike upsets many strangers for some reason. I would rather they were angry with me than running me off the road.
    Funnily enough, I come across a bus driver in Bury town centre now and again whilst on my midweek evening loop, who hates flashing front lights that much that he begins to rapidly flash his headlights at me! No matter how far away he may be, he will do it until he's past me. I guess he does this to most cyclists but that is just a guess.
    I now wave cheerily and frantically at him until we have passed one another, as I am sure this will perk him up no end and make his day. He's never run me over once though.
  • ai_1
    Pituophis wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

While I agree with you completely in theory, I am often (justifiably) quite annoyed when driving my car, and some c*ck with super bright LED type headlights (as used in most modern Audi's as well as many other newer makes and models) slots in behind me for a couple of miles, forcing me to turn my rear view mirror upwards. It makes me angry, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it as people think they give better illumination and so will continue to use them regardless of my feelings.
    This is why I have no problem using bright lights on my bike. It may upset some, but then my very presence on a bike upsets many strangers for some reason. I would rather they were angry with me than running me off the road.
    Funnily enough, I come across a bus driver in Bury town centre now and again whilst on my midweek evening loop, who hates flashing front lights that much that he begins to rapidly flash his headlights at me! No matter how far away he may be, he will do it until he's past me. I guess he does this to most cyclists but that is just a guess.
    I now wave cheerily and frantically at him until we have passed one another, as I am sure this will perk him up no end and make his day. He's never run me over once though.
    So you don't agree with me at all then, theoretically or otherwise.
    What you're saying is other people annoy you so you plan to annoy them right back and you clearly don't agree with my suggestion that very bright lights are actually more dangerous since you seem to think they'll keep you from being run off the road. Juvenile "logic" in my opinion.

This piece is particularly ridiculous: (yours in black, mine in red)
    ...It makes me angry, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it as people think they give better illumination and so will continue to use them regardless of my feelings. How does this differ from your atttude?
    This is why I have no problem using bright lights on my bike. It may upset some, but then my very presence on a bike upsets many strangers for some reason.For some reason? Your type of attitude, as shared by many cyclists, is one of the big contributors to this and the behaviour you're endorsing will just make it worse. To be honest knowledge of your presence on a bike is enough to upset this stranger. I would rather they were angry with me than running me off the road....So...why are you claiming to agree completely in theory with my previous post? - My main point was that excessively bright lights are actually more likely to increase danger so you can see how I would be confused!
  • Pituophis
    Ai_1 wrote:
    What you're saying is other people annoy you so you plan to annoy them right back and you clearly don't agree with my suggestion that very bright lights are actually more dangerous since you seem to think they'll keep you from being run off the road. Juvenile "logic" in my opinion.

...It makes me angry, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it as people think they give better illumination and so will continue to use them regardless of my feelings. How does this differ from your atttude?
    This is why I have no problem using bright lights on my bike. It may upset some, but then my very presence on a bike upsets many strangers for some reason.For some reason? Your attitude is one of the big contributors to this and the behaviour you're endorsing will just make it worse. To be honest knowledge of your presence on a bike is enough to upset this stranger. I would rather they were angry with me than running me off the road....So...which part of my post do you agree with? Since my main point was that excessively bright lights are actually more likely to increase danger

To be absolutely honest I did mostly agree with you, and my reply was fairly tongue in cheek. Which you definitely didn't pick up on. :shock:
    I go out of my way not to p*ss people off on my bike, am courteous to all other road users and quick to give my thanks when drivers give me a bit of room or time, but as you don't know me from Adam, you didn't know that. And yet there are plenty of strangers who give me and other cyclists abuse for no reason what so ever, including throwing things from moving vehicles. Where has my attitude contributed to any of that?
    I thought I had taken a jokey stance on bright lights causing anger with the car reference and the fact that no one who drives a car gives a flying f*** what I think about their lights, but you seem to have taken that very literally, you don't have super bright headlights do you?
    You are the one who thinks it is justifiable for a driver to be angry when a he/she thinks a cyclist' lights are too bright, but seem to think I am juvenile to suggest some car lights are also too bright.
    I use two lights on the back, one flashing and one solid, neither is "Too bright", but my front light a Lezeyne something or other is. I use it on its dimmest setting when lighting is poor, but flashing in well lit areas to keep me visible, but of course you knew that.
    Maybe you should get of your high horse and stop lecturing people that you know nothing about, or maybe accept that its a public forum and sometimes people "muck about".
  • ai_1
    Pituophis wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

This is why I have no problem using bright lights on my bike. It may upset some, but then my very presence on a bike upsets many strangers for some reason.For some reason? Your attitude is one of the big contributors to this and the behaviour you're endorsing will just make it worse. To be honest knowledge of your presence on a bike is enough to upset this stranger. I would rather they were angry with me than running me off the road....So...which part of my post do you agree with? Since my main point was that excessively bright lights are actually more likely to increase danger

To be absolutely honest I did mostly agree with you, and my reply was fairly tongue in cheek. Which you definitely didn't pick up on. :shock:
    I go out of my way not to p*ss people off on my bike, am courteous to all other road users and quick to give my thanks when drivers give me a bit of room or time, but as you don't know me from Adam, you didn't know that. And yet there are plenty of strangers who give me and other cyclists abuse for no reason what so ever, including throwing things from moving vehicles. Where has my attitude contributed to any of that?
    I thought I had taken a jokey stance on bright lights causing anger with the car reference and the fact that no one who drives a car gives a flying f*** what I think about their lights, but you seem to have taken that very literally, you don't have super bright headlights do you?
    You are the one who thinks it is justifiable for a driver to be angry when a he/she thinks a cyclist' lights are too bright, but seem to think I am juvenile to suggest some car lights are also too bright.
    I use two lights on the back, one flashing and one solid, neither is "Too bright", but my front light a Lezeyne something or other is. I use it on its dimmest setting when lighting is poor, but flashing in well lit areas to keep me visible, but of course you knew that.
    Maybe you should get of your high horse and stop lecturing people that you know nothing about, or maybe accept that its a public forum and sometimes people "muck about".
    Right.....I'm clearly confused!
    Yes, I took your post as sincere. It didn't come across as tongue in cheek to me. If you just came back saying I'd misunderstood you, well that would be fine. However, you have instead responded with the claim that it was tongue in cheek and then start defending the stance which you just dismissed as tongue in cheek. Which is it? :shock:

Now to address one or two new points that may or may not be tongue in cheek (feel free to clear up the confusion): Yes I believe drivers are justified in being annoyed about excessively bright bike lights but I never said you were juvenile to suggest that some car lights are also too bright. I suggested the "logic" of your argument that this made it okay for you to do the same was juvenile. That's a completely different thing. Please re-read my previous post.

I'm not on a high horse. I'm telling you what I think, as you are.....kind of.
    I have commented only on what you've said and on the assumption that you meant it. I haven't made any assumptions beyond that so this nonsense about me not knowing you etc is just that, nonsense!
  • jgsi
    Well on this nights analysis of drivers attitudes... nothing to do with bright lights .. just abuse.. blind the fLckers I say
  • Pituophis
    Lets agree to disagree, or alternatively, you win, what ever you decide.
    I feel lucky that you didn't point out all my many spelling mistakes to be honest. (That bit IS a joke. :oops: )
  • Pembles
    Pembles Posts: 6
    edited November 2014
    District + and a Cateye Volt, both angled at the road (about 4 m) the Hope is run on Med and the Cateye on pulse mode, does the job for me, I seem to get loads of room from passing traffic anyway.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Braziers, front and back. Illumination and warmth. What more can a man want?

I tried using brassieres but the kept on getting tangled up in my wheels.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I pointed out to a bloke I was passing the other evening that his rear light was doing no more than providing a dull red halo for his saddlebag. He didn't thank me.

I would subscribe to the school of thought that rear illumination is more important. But, even even being lit up like a tree, if you are on a dark road and there is steady traffic coming in the other direction, it's still very easy to be totally lost in the headlights.

Self preservation.
  • Driving home last night, saw somebody with a flashing red light on the front and a solid white light on the rear :?:
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    edited November 2014
    As a legal requirement you're supposed to have rear reflectors & pedal reflectors at night, how many have those?
    Not sure if you would get 'done' for not having them but in the event of an accident/claim maybe that could make a difference.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989