Zonda 2 way fit weight

mugensi
mugensi Posts: 559
edited November 2014 in Road general
I recently picked upa set of these wheels and immediately noticed that they werent as light as i was expecting (I was comparing them to a set of aksiums i have) So i weighed them on a set of digital kitchen scales and found them to weight 970gr (Rr) and 715 (fr) so a total of 1685gr which is 105gr heavier than their stated weight (1580gr) I have read endless threads from various forums all over the world and while a few have complained about the weight being heavier than stated, it has generally only been 10-20gr heavier and even more reported that their wheels were actually lighter than the stated weight. Mine have the shimano 10spd (only) freehub and I was wondering if this is where the extra weight comes from? The freehub is alloy and i would have expected it to be reasonably lightweight. The wheels are 2011/12 wheels but from research I dont see where anything has changed between the earlier 2011/12 wheels and more recent 2013/14 wheels. Any one able to shed any light on the matter? I was slightly disappointed at the weight but I bought them for a very reasonable price and theyre going on a winter bike so i'll suffer the weight difference but would like to know why theyre that much heavier than everyone elses.

Comments

• Did you leave the QR skewers in?
  • on the 2015 spec the Shimano freehub is 49g heaver than the campag so there's nearly 50% of the difference (F 680g, R 890g or 939g for HG). The rest "might" be down to the rim strip? as I'm not sure if campag "quote" is with or without.
  • mugensi
    They were weighed without QRs.

They are the two way fit and so they dont have a rim strip/tape, the weight was the bare weight of the wheel and considering theyre used and have very slight wear to the brake surface which would reduce weight nominally its difficult to understand where the extra weight is coming from. I may pull the freehub off and weigh it and compare it to a 9/10/11spd freehub which are generally composite plastic, i think.
  • My advice is to suck it up... take it as a lesson to stop being a weight weenie and believe all the glossy nonsense manufacturers use to convince you to part from your cash...
    If they are a bit heavier, it's surely a good thing in the long run.
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the 2 way fit versions are heavier than the weights you quote but as you bought them 2nd hand, I assume? can you be sure they are not the earlier model which was indeed about 100grams heavier?
    also, are your scales accurate?
    I have always found both Campag and Fulcrum wheels to be within an acceptable weight range ie +/- 20grams

But as Ugo says, its not worth worrying about now.
  • mugensi
    mamba80 wrote:
    the 2 way fit versions are heavier than the weights you quote but as you bought them 2nd hand, I assume? can you be sure they are not the earlier model which was indeed about 100grams heavier?
    also, are your scales accurate?
    I have always found both Campag and Fulcrum wheels to be within an acceptable weight range ie +/- 20grams

But as Ugo says, its not worth worrying about now.

Yeah the 2 way fit wheels are 30g heavier than the non two way which are 1550g, the two ways are roughly 1580g, mine are 1680 so quite a difference. Mine are the same as the current model with 3G rear spoke design. I'm not sure on the scales but might check that out too.

My advice is to suck it up... take it as a lesson to stop being a weight weenie and believe all the glossy nonsense manufacturers use to convince you to part from your cash...
    If they are a bit heavier, it's surely a good thing in the long run.

I'm not too bothered to be honest, they're a really nice wheel and more than ideal for what i need them for. I just wondered how the stated weight could be so far out besides i didnt believe glossy manufacturers spiel, I bought them used from a local lad for a very goo price and didnt realise they were 2 way till i got them home and removed the tyres so it was an added bonus as I paid £140 for them which is considerably less than what a reasonable set of used one ways would have been.
  • Pretty sure Wiggle sold a few sets new for 160 a couple of weeks back.
  • mugensi
    Ha ha, I believe they did but they were the non 2-way fit wheels so i still reckon i got a bargain.