Easton EA90SLX - Bin them or rebuild?

clazza
clazza Posts: 626
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Just started using these again after they were sitting in the shed for a while (2009 model) - got something else after a spoke broke but found a source of spokes.

In the last three months, two spokes have snapped (I'm not heavy and was going downhill) and freehub is "slipping" - just light use which corroborates stories that they're rubbish

However, they are hardly used and rims are in excellent condition - is it worth rebuilding them with something like Dura Ace (24h) hubs or just bin them?

Comments

• I did rebuild one a couple of years ago on a Novatec hub... I'd say yes if you keep the cost down, no if you plan to use expensive hubs and spokes. The rims need to be in pretty good nick too, to make them viable
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why not rebuild the rims are of standard drilling so it is an easy job.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Why not rebuild the rims are of standard drilling so it is an easy job.

that's what he said...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    I ran the EA90 Aero model a few years back, broke spoke nipples frequently, not the actual spoke.
    Did a rebuild from scratch with brass nipples and seem much more reliable now.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    If you do decide to bin them ill pay the postage for just the front and rear hubs.
    I need a pair for a bike work stand i am making so dont need to be usable lol.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    Thanks - while the rims are in good condition, I dont think I'll rebuild them just yet (wont bin though) - don't really need a pair of "climbing wheels", which is what the Eastons were, after everything I've read on the forum.

Actually have a pair of handbuilt Dura Ace / HED Belgiums / CXRay (again with all the advice from here) well before all this happened and they are more than good enough for climbing, so narrow Eastons would be a step back