Rear caliper for big guy

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently using campagnolo centaur skeleton brakes. The front is fine, but the rear has the same effect as pressing a pair of pixie wings against the rim. I think some of it is down to being 95kg, there is more to slow, single pivot on the rear is not enough. It is effecting my cornering and descending so it's time for a change. Any tips on a good set of calipers. I'm not changing the rest of my bike from campagnolo, so does chorus or higher offer stronger braking? Alternatively I would look at another brand just on the calipers,many suggestions aside from SRAM or shimano?

Cheers

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    The higher spec Campag brakes have a dual pivot option which might be enough?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    First, I would look at softer pad compounds e.g. Koolstop Salmon. FWIW Shimano use a different cable-pull so swapping to their calipers isn't really recommended. After-market calipers also available from TRP.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Simmo72 wrote:
    Currently using campagnolo centaur skeleton brakes. The front is fine, but the rear has the same effect as pressing a pair of pixie wings against the rim. I think some of it is down to being 95kg, there is more to slow, single pivot on the rear is not enough. It is effecting my cornering and descending so it's time for a change. Any tips on a good set of calipers. I'm not changing the rest of my bike from campagnolo, so does chorus or higher offer stronger braking? Alternatively I would look at another brand just on the calipers,many suggestions aside from SRAM or shimano?

Cheers

I never had a problem stopping with Campag dual pivots on standard pads, and I'm 95kg too.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Try new cables if they've been on for a while, you'll be surprised at the difference.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Simmo72 wrote:
    Currently using campagnolo centaur skeleton brakes. The front is fine, but the rear has the same effect as pressing a pair of pixie wings against the rim. I think some of it is down to being 95kg, there is more to slow, single pivot on the rear is not enough.
    Cheers

You can buy a dual pivot rear.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yup - get the dual-pivot rear option.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I weight about the same and rim brakes are not as effective for heavier riders. I upgraded to 105's and swisstop green pads which helped a lot but still not close to disc brakes, especially in the wet. Braking from the drops is better than from the hoods.
  • Anything with the new Shimano dual pivot - get Ultegras.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.