Cassette upgrade and compatibility question

db3266
db3266 Posts: 38
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I changed my wheels today from the standard Whyte 750b rims to Stans Crest with tubeless tyres, a total weight saving of approx 700 grams. The OCD in me insisted I weighed the cassette, a Shimano HG200, it weighs 400 grams. It got me wondering what other 9 speed cassettes weigh and whilst browsing, I found the XT M770 gets great reviews.

Is the Shimano XT M770 Cassette compatible with the other bits on my bike?

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore RD-M592 Shadow
Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera, 9 Speed
Chainset: Shimano M391, 44-32-22, 9 Speed, Octalink
Chain: Shimano HG-53, 9 Speed

I hope it is and therefor produces a good basis from which to start the drive chain upgrades, I would like to change the front derailleur to an XT one, and maybe in time, the crankset and shifters.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Is it 9spd?

Then yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Minimal improvements on the front dérailleur both in terms of weight and shifting, the rear is a much better candidate.

If you want to lose weight at the front go 1x

See link in sig for some lightweight ideas!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Change your chain at the same time as the cassette, otherwise you'll trash it in no time. KMC X9SLs are good lightweight options - get one on eBay direct from Taiwan, usually about £20 or so.
  • db3266
    db3266 Posts: 38
    My existing chain is brand new.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't worry about it then!