Overshoes and trainers...

notxalckram
notxalckram Posts: 104
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
Hi,

I'm tired of wearing wet trainers when I get to work and then damp cold trainers when I leave work.

Is there any waterproof overshoes that work with trainers? I've seen a lot out there but all seem to work with just cleats or similar types of shoes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes it works but your pedals may damage the overshoes, you'll get a winter out of them.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    As above. Another option would be waterproof socks.
  • Gore Windstoppers have quite a large area underneath that is not covered by the overshoe, so might last a little longer than others. The material that is on the bottom and around the edge of the toes (not the elastic strap in the middle) is pretty hard wearing.

931786_2.jpg
  • dont understand why normal overshoes wont just work?? Yeah they have a hole for the cleats but why does that matter - your trainers wont have a hole in the bottom to let water in.
  • Initialised
    dont understand why normal overshoes wont just work?? Yeah they have a hole for the cleats but why does that matter - your trainers wont have a hole in the bottom to let water in.
    They do work, but good metal flat pedals like DMR V8 will rip the bottoms of the overshoes to bits.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dont understand why normal overshoes wont just work?? Yeah they have a hole for the cleats but why does that matter - your trainers wont have a hole in the bottom to let water in.
    They do work, but good metal flat pedals like DMR V8 will rip the bottoms of the overshoes to bits.

ah fair enough!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Any waterproof winter trainers?
  • Initialised
    MichaelW wrote:
    Any waterproof winter trainers?
    Yes, look for trail running shoes with Gore Tex. But for cycling there's much more spray (even with decent mudguards) and you'd need a way of getting the spray that hits your legs to not run down them into the shoe for it to work. les of a problem for runners as it is directed sideways not flung off the wheel, straight at your feet or deflected off you mudguard at your feet. On the flip side, flat soled shoes (think Vans) are better for flat pedals that running shoes with a clever tread pattern so it'll be a trade-off between grip on the pedal and grip in muddy terrain. Which really makes an MTB SPD shoe or boot with a decent tread and a couple of studs up front the best option for all round use.

These may be a good option: http://www.teva.co.uk/1000225.html?dwva ... 2&cgid=men

Flat sole so good for riding, water resistance but you still need to seal the top hole and they wont have much traction in the mud, ice or snow.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I once saw some fell-running boots, the high uppers were unpadded, non-supporting, and only to exclude mud and water; ideal for use with waterproof over-pants.
    Many MTB shoes use a hard plastic sole, good on mud and rock but lethal on wet tiles.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have worn goretex walking trainers (sometimes called "approach shoes") and gaiters when it is chucking it down.

The goretex dies pretty quickly
  • This doesnt stop your shoes getting wet, but one trick is to put plastic bags over your socks before putting them in the trainers. This only works when its cold outside, as soon as there is any warmth in the air your feet will get wet from the inside!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    dont understand why normal overshoes wont just work?? Yeah they have a hole for the cleats but why does that matter - your trainers wont have a hole in the bottom to let water in.

I use mine with brompton pedals and havent had any such problems - cheap pair of BBB heavy duty overshoes are into their 3rd winter now. Contact with the pedal is generally where there is little or no material on the bottom of the overshoe - see photo a few posts up
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I bought some Planet X neoprene ones this year to wear over normal trainers. Have a good think about sizing as IME trainers tend to be bigger/wider/less sleak than cycling shoes. I'm not expecting longevity to be much of a problem as the pedals don't seem to rub on the elastic that goes underneath and I'm only wearing them when it's raining which, surprisingly, isn't all that often at commuting times.