11-28 to 11-32

www777
www777 Posts: 48
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi currently running Sram Red 10spd 50-34/11-28, I was looking at changing the cassette to a 11-32. Would I need to change anything chain etc??.

Thanks.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    probably need longer chain (also good practice to start a new cassette on a new chain.

probably need a new rear derailleur depending on capacity of your existing one.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IMO you will need the Sram WiFli derailleur and a longer chain.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    OT a bit, but would an 11sp WiFli mech work with Shimano 11sp shifters, specifically 105 5800? As I can't get a 11-30 mech (noting that the specified maximum capacity of the 105 mech -SS and GS - is 28T I'm wondering about an 11-32, but not sure if the 105 mech will take it (may have a play next weekend!)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just out of interest:34 front, 32 rear - where are you riding?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    rafletcher wrote:
    OT a bit, but would an 11sp WiFli mech work with Shimano 11sp shifters, specifically 105 5800? As I can't get a 11-30 mech (noting that the specified maximum capacity of the 105 mech -SS and GS - is 28T I'm wondering about an 11-32, but not sure if the 105 mech will take it (may have a play next weekend!)

No the pull ratio is different.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Just out of interest:34 front, 32 rear - where are you riding?

Nowhere dramatic - I'm just old and unfit!
  • Yes you will need a new chain.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Yes you will need a new chain.

IF his existing chain is long enough and is relatively new why will he need a new one?
  • lesfirth wrote:

IF his existing chain is long enough and is relatively new why will he need a new one?

And how exactly, would it be long enough if its been fitted properly for a 11-28 cassette? have you ever fitted a chain to a 11-28 and then tried squeezing it onto a 11-32? obviously not. Feel free to try it and come back to me when it snaps, i'll have a proper laugh at your expense.

Fact is, if the OP fitted his chain properly to a 11-28 then theres a very good chance its going to be a link or two short for a 11-32. Yes you can 'stretch' it to fit a 11-32, but the rear derailleur arm will be pulled forward and the top jockey wheel will bump into the biggest cog on the 11-32. Its not just about chain length, its about chain height between the top jockey wheel and the underside of the cog. In this case, 'stretching' a chain thats currently on a 11-28 will pull the derailleur forward and create a problem. It will also make shifting between the bigger cogs harder because the space will be smaller for the chain to work properly.

I can provide pictures of what stretching an existing chain to a 11-32 looks like and its not pretty. I tried it once, and ended up with a bill from my LBS for a few hundred quid when it ripped the rear derailleur off-completely ruining it, straight into the wheel, breaking several spokes and tore up the paintwork on the frame.

For the price of a new chain these days, its not worth the risk of putting extra strain on the rear derailleur.

Thats why he needs a new chain.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    lesfirth wrote:

And how exactly, would it be long enough if its been fitted properly for a 11-28 cassette? have you ever fitted a chain to a 11-28 and then tried squeezing it onto a 11-32? obviously not. Feel free to try it and come back to me when it snaps, i'll have a proper laugh at your expense.

Fact is, if the OP fitted his chain properly to a 11-28 then theres a very good chance its going to be a link or two short for a 11-32. Yes you can 'stretch' it to fit a 11-32, but the rear derailleur arm will be pulled forward and the top jockey wheel will bump into the biggest cog on the 11-32. Its not just about chain length, its about chain height between the top jockey wheel and the underside of the cog. In this case, 'stretching' a chain thats currently on a 11-28 will pull the derailleur forward and create a problem. It will also make shifting between the bigger cogs harder because the space will be smaller for the chain to work properly.

I can provide pictures of what stretching an existing chain to a 11-32 looks like and its not pretty. I tried it once, and ended up with a bill from my LBS for a few hundred quid when it ripped the rear derailleur off-completely ruining it, straight into the wheel, breaking several spokes and tore up the paintwork on the frame.

For the price of a new chain these days, its not worth the risk of putting extra strain on the rear derailleur.

It will only be stretched if he uses big-big which is inadvisable even if the chain is the right length. For all the other gears it will be fine.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    lesfirth wrote:

IF his chain is long enough it is .IF it isn't it isn't. If it is too short I agree he needs a new one .IF it isn't he does not.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    PaulMon wrote:
    It will only be stretched if he uses big-big which is inadvisable even if the chain is the right length. For all the other gears it will be fine.
    Of course, but everybody does actually use big-big (at least everyone I know does) and you wouldn't want to wreck your bike if you happened to accidentally commit the cardinal sin of cross-chaining. As others have said, a correctly-sized chain for 50x28 will be too short for 50x32.
  • Don't really want to get caught up in this. But some people size the chain based upon the longest chain that the rear mech can cope with rather then sizing it based on the cassette. I do this because I switch wheels and cassettes. So although my most frequently used cassette is 11-25, I also have an 11-28. I use the same chain for both with no problems. Not saying that in this case the chain will be the right length, but depending on the rear mech it might be. See the following for sizing based on the rear mech capacity.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... ain_318122