Seat droppers

miket-62
miket-62 Posts: 227
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
My old Mavick seat post has finally died a death and I'm looking for a new "dropper"
What do you recommend?
Thanks in advance
Mike

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Rockshox Reverb works for me.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reverb seems to be the most popular and one of the more reliable. Mine does what it needs to.
  • ^^^ this.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Reverb - Tired and tested and warranty turnaround is quick if they do break.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Just to be different - KS LEV for me and its fine for me.

But yeah Reverbs seem to be "the standard" but I reckon they are like iphones - everyone tells you the good but doesnt mention how often they break and the battery life (bleeding and loss of support in the case of the seatpost).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • CitizenLee
    Poor analogy.... I can't stand Apple products or their cultist followers, but love my Reverb :)

The last reason I'd ever buy a bike part is because it's "cool" or "popular". The Reverb is very well reviewed and has proven to be reliable + it has unlimited adjustment. Granted you do get the odd bad one, but it's all relative to how many people have them compared to the competition. My first one was dead out the box but was replaced with a whole new unit in less than 2 weeks (dealing with SRAM via Germany may have added to that). Also keep in mind people with working parts generally don't go on forums to shout about it... unlike those with faulty stuff.

New NukeProof post looks good too though, so if I'd probably consider that as well if I was in the market for a new dropper.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Also keep in mind people with working parts generally don't go on forums to shout about it....

MY REVERB HAS BEEN BRILLIANT!!

(Just to prove the exception) ...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Also keep in mind people with working parts generally don't go on forums to shout about it....

Now imagine if we all got together :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Just to be different - KS LEV for me and its fine for me.

But yeah Reverbs seem to be "the standard" but I reckon they are like iphones - everyone tells you the good but doesnt mention how often they break and the battery life (bleeding and loss of support in the case of the seatpost).

Disagree, I think there's been a very vocal minority slagging off the Reverb whereas the majority (like me) have had no issues whatsoever.

Oh, and I'm 98kg bouncing up and down on it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    CitizenLee wrote:

SO HAS MINE