Rucksacks with back ventilation...

notxalckram
notxalckram Posts: 104
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a rucksack for cycling which has back ventilation but is also quite big? Looking at 30L+ capacity.

I cycle to work 5 days a week and I sometimes carry quite a bit; work trousers, shoes, lunch, waterproof trousers etc. And the majority of the cycling rucksacks I've seen with decent back ventilation don't carry a lot of space.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Not that big (17l I think), but the Rapha backpack is very nice. Certainly takes as much as I'd ever want to cycle any distance with. I use it for a 2 hour commute on my fixed which doesn't have braze-ons and I can't bring myself to fit an SQR clip.

Well made, right amount of pockets/compartments for clothes, shoes (although normally leave these at work), sandwiches, laptop (if I have to), very comfortable, waterproof cover and decent back ventilation.

And, importantly for me, smart enough to take into a business meeting.

Not that cheap, but lasts more or less forever.
  • Nice bag but £150 is double my budget.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Deuter bike one 20? About 20L will take suit and shoes. Why not leave shoes at work anyway
  • http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-40-a ... 43262.html

This is pretty good. I use it a couple of times a week for clothes etc, and a memory stick / external hard drive in a bag the other three days. Can fit a small laptop at a pinch and waterproof to boot. Don't need it for meetings tho.
  • I'm going to start leaving my shoes at work this week, buying some new ones to keep at home on payday (woo!).

Quite like the Deuter bags, the "QUECHUA Forclaz" is nice but that is a big bag. One to keep an eye on though.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The best bag for back ventilation, by far, is a pannier.
  • I don't like panniers and despite the fact they do the best job at storage and back ventilation, I aren't putting one on my hardtail MTB hah.

I prefer using rucksacks, always have, always will.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Fair enough.

My pal loves his Deuter. You still get a sweaty back, just not as sopping wet.
  • Aye they are good. I've got a Deuter backpack for when i'm out riding trails etc, excellent for my hydration pack and bits and bobs, but not at all big enough for commuting to work and back.

Their prices aren't too appealing but at the moment I aren't seeing many other options.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've just replaced a long serving 25l Gelert with the Deuter one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deuter-Race-Backpack-Fire-White/dp/B00A3Z4JZO/

I can't see a capacity on it - 15litre or so at a guess?

I'm a bit underwhelmed TBH, I bought in on account of the back pads but they are just foam ridges and when the bag fills up (which it does easily) it deforms and it feels like it's out of shape. The Gelert has a web kept taught with ribs of some sort, much better and always keeps it shape.

Shapewise I prefer the old one too, it was more like a pear so the bulk of the volume is down low. By contrast the Deuter is cylindrical so when it's full it feels like it is sticking out more and doesn't stay still.

It's bright red and has the word 'Race' on it so it should make me faster.
  • It looks like a bag for trails, similar to the one I have for when I'm out and about getting muddy.

The one i've got my eye on at the moment is an Altura backpack http://www.altura.co.uk/products/detail/ALSEC30G

Seeing some nice rucksacks on Wiggle/Evans but majority are lacking back ventilation.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Done 50 miles with a Deuter in the summer in northern France, by far the best backpack I've used for cycling when trying to avoid a sweaty back. Still, I'd prefer a pannier for proper touring.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did 50 miles with a Deuter today!
  • I've gone for the Altura Sector 30 Backpack. Read some excellent reviews and has the space and compartments I need for my daily commute. Will post a short review when I get it.
  • I've recently got the Osprey talon 11 and have been using the Talon 22 for several years. They also do some larger rucksacks in the same series.

I find them comfortable for cycling and really like them for bike rides where I need to walk around at the far end, otherwise I use a pannier. They also have some nice design features like the pockets in the waist belt. Means I don't need to take the rucksack off and rummage around for keys or my phone. Also the clip for your helmet can come in handy as helmets are annoyingly bulky inside bags.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Deuter Cross Air is the larger of my backpacks. Frame keeps the bulk off your back so there is only a mesh panel on your back.
  • Osprey momentum 30 fits the bill for a ventilated 30L commuting pack. Comes in at £85 list, can probably get it around £75.

www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/commute/momentum_30

Edit:added link
  • Just thought i'd let you know the Altura Sector 30 rucksack I bought is brilliant. Back ventilation a big step up from my basic Jansport rucksack I was using.