Quantocks map needed

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited June 2016 in Routes
I don't have a gps thingy and i'm not strapping my phone to the handlebars so i'm looking for a good, detailed map for the quantoks loop.

Can anyone tell me (provide links?) as to where i can get a hard copy map?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• I don't have a gps thingy and i'm not strapping my phone to the handlebars so i'm looking for a good, detailed map for the quantoks loop.

Can anyone tell me (provide links?) as to where i can get a hard copy map?

Here https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/explorer-map-quantock-hills-bridgwater.html
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just get the OS map. Most of the best trails are marked as bridleways. Navigation is really easy, the ridge runs north to south and you can see the sea to the north from the top.
    Worth working Triscombe in to your route as well for some nice (rocky, steep and nasty) singletrack that's not on maps but easy to spot.
  • I had a look at the os map in waterstones today. It's a bit big! I know i can copy the part that i want and shrink it bit. I was hoping for something a tad more geared towards the actual trails rather than a general os map.

I guess going natural means i'll just have to find my own way around. I just hope i don't miss the good bits or end up just wasting my time.

I have a copy of "wales mountain biking by Tom Hutton" and was looking for something similar. i have found one online written by Nick Cotton but haven't been able to see the book in the flesh. i found others but the maps themselves are tiny and not really readable.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • stir88
    stir88 Posts: 124
    Google quantocks killer loop or classis route and results should come back.
    http://www.gpsies.com/ got the killer loop. i think the classic cuts a section off, depending on where you're starting you could cut the loop shorter. 19 miles on the quantocks takes in alot of climbing.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Quantock trails don't really need any specific guide. All the best trails are bridleways (rocky and fun but technically bridleways).
    Just link up the classic coombes to make your route.
    Smiths Coombe is amazing, best trail I have ridden anywhere. Weacoombe is fast and flowing, Somerton Coombe is long scenic and very fast, Dead Woman's Ditch will test your bravery to stay off the brakes and Ladies Edge is the most lung bursting climb in the Quantocks.
    It's a brilliant area to ride with some fantastic descents and evil climbs, not a place for ultra light wheels and skinny tyres!
  • brought myself up to date ish with an app and downloaded the map. will try and get there this weekend.
  • Quantock trails don't really need any specific guide. All the best trails are bridleways (rocky and fun but technically bridleways).
    Just link up the classic coombes to make your route.
    Smiths Coombe is amazing, best trail I have ridden anywhere. Weacoombe is fast and flowing, Somerton Coombe is long scenic and very fast, Dead Woman's Ditch will test your bravery to stay off the brakes and Ladies Edge is the most lung bursting climb in the Quantocks.
    It's a brilliant area to ride with some fantastic descents and evil climbs, not a place for ultra light wheels and skinny tyres!

Hi Rockmonkey,

Been looking at this site for a while now and finally signed up. Ive ridden at the Quantocks a few times, I've down loaded the Killer Loop map and the MBR best single-track as well.
    I'm not sure if I've ever done the trails that you talk about in your post? Sounds awesome. Do you know where I could get a gpx file for it. I'm terrible at map reading and I always have a time limit on my rides so exploring isn't easy either :(

Be great if you could help!