Grips

bj639
bj639 Posts: 76
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks. I am currently using Race Face Half Nelson grips. These are generally fine but on longer rides my hands can get numb and I feel they are a little narrow for my hands. Also once wet they have zero grip!

I know grips are a personal choice but any recommendations for slightly fatter grips that are fine in the wet. I do about 100 miles a week (mainly on lanes) in all weathers so need something that works in the wet!

I wear gloves (really thin in summer and more thermal ones in winter

Comments

• ODI Handsolo aren't bad. I like Bontrager's twin lock grips and they do a slightly thicker variation which is meant to absorb shock a little more. Importantly they a re really good in the wet and muck.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • I loved ODI Ruffian lock ons on my old mtbs, and have just bought some very similar Superstar lock on grips.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Have a look at the DMR LocDD grips (some suppliers spell it LoccD, so worth searching for both). Single lock-ring, like the Half-Nelson's you've been using, excellent grip, but more padding. Nice internally-expanding endcaps, too...
  • Craig24
    Craig24 Posts: 150
    I'm using Superstar Supagripa and can't fault them. If you want something slightly wider then they also do other styles.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    When you say too narrow do you mean width or diameter?

I'm a big fan of ODI Rogue's and ESI Chunky's. The ESI's are lighter and a little comfier not being lock ons but the Rogue's are grippier in the wet without gloves (the ESI's are fine with gloves) and are tougher, especially on the edges. The Rogue's are also easier to install and remove as well being lock ons. I use the ESI's on pretty much anything but a DH bike now.

Ruffian's and Supagrippa's are both thin grips so not what you're looking for if you are referring to the diameter. The Supagrippa's also wear out very quickly so they don't work out to be cheaper at all in the long run.
  • bj639
    yeah narrow as in diameter/thickness
  • bj639
    ODI Handsolo aren't bad. I like Bontrager's twin lock grips and they do a slightly thicker variation which is meant to absorb shock a little more. Importantly they a re really good in the wet and muck.

these are to go on my Bird Zero funnily enough!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Another vote for ODI Rogues. I've had 8 pairs now, although currently don't have them fitted to any of my bikes as I fancied a change. Instead I have ODI Hansolos on my Mega and whilst they're great, I don't think they quite as comfy as the Rogues, so I'll be swapping them once they wear out. Then on my Cube I have ODI Vans Waffles, which are too much like a moto grip for me so again, they'll be getting swapped for Rogues too when they wear out.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8