How to fit mudguards around front disc calliper?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited December 2014 in Road general
HI,

Just bought a Cyclocross bike with discs. The rear calliper is inside the rear triangle so that is no problem to fit. However the front calliper is sticking out of fork in the way of the mudguard mounting bolt. Im sure many people have had this problem before but what are the best ways to get around it?

The mudguards i have ordered are SKS Chromoplastic P45.

Thanks

Comments

• Cant you just bend it around the caliper?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I guess that would work, is there a right way to do that? how easily bent is the metal?
  • I made a spacer, approx 10mm long made of 8 mm copper tube, and obviously a longer bolt, worked a treat on my Kinesis Pro6 and SKS guards.
  • Was it still easy to get the mudguard centered properly?
  • Roubaixtom wrote:
    Was it still easy to get the mudguard centered properly?

Yes, no problem.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,356
    I bent mine round the caliper. Hold the stay in a vice up to the point you want the bend then apply force immediately above that point. I twatted mine with a large copper mallet, more precise than it sounds.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My front guard is mounted on the top calliper bolt using aa longer bolt and spacer to clear the arm of the calliper, the LBS fitted it on the eyelet at the dropout but the bent stay didn't look right so I changed it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hz5gmfyi1i0nim6/IMG_20141014_104812732.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    xdoc wrote:
    I made a spacer, approx 10mm long made of 8 mm copper tube, and obviously a longer bolt, worked a treat on my Kinesis Pro6 and SKS guards.
    This.
    I had a similar problem with the rear caliper on my CAADX.
    Used two 10mm pieces of s/s tubing with a 5mm internal diameter, and longer bolts. As long as you put spacers on both sides, it'll centre just fine

f69ce17f-6823-417d-ab2b-5d549abddc33_zpsfdafaa7c.jpg

20141007_113851_zpsc2e25e53.jpg
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I did a bit of both. Front fork I made a spacer from an old brake bolt, rear I just bent the stay a bit. But I fitted TRP HyRd's and they have a "low profile" calliper.

Stays are easy to ben - see below, as I had to do some radical bending on my new Genesis Equilibrium disc, due to the mounting points on the fork - supposedly to make fitting guards easier!

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg
  • Are the stays pretty easy to bend accurately?
  • Installed rear mudguard with ease however the front is proving to be a pain. I can't quite get the bend tight enough to miss the calliper. Any other ideas please?
  • veronese68
    Have you got access to a vice? I managed to get a tight bend very close in to the clip. Then re-routed and went under the caliper so it could pop out of the clip if necessary.
  • This is how I did mine

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02055.jpg
  • Also,

The bolt that fastens the mudguard to the top of the fork is too long as it hits the end inside the fork. Where can i get a shorter bolt? What size bolt? i need the same size as the bolts that secure the front quick release stays to the fork.
  • veronese68
    Bolt is a standard M5 as most other accessory fittings, any bike shop should have something.
    I started to fit mine as in Mr Scrimshaw's pics but when I realised the calliper would stop the stay popping out of the safety clip I routed both stays under the caliper then off to their respective mounting points.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    This is how I did mine

DSC02054.jpg
    Does the quick-release safety mechanism still work? Mine has activated twice.
    I route both stays under the brake.
  • I doubt it would work on the caliper side but the other side would. I would hope that would be enough to prevent a problem.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Just had a new Domane disc fitted with guards.It has no fixing hole on the caliper side.The LBS just tie wrapped it to a non moving part of the HY/RD body.Works just fine and looks neat.There is no pressure from the mudgaurds so it doesn't interfere at all.They are staying on full time so no problem for me.
  • veronese68
    I doubt it would work on the caliper side but the other side would. I would hope that would be enough to prevent a problem.
    I would think so, the mudguard is flexible enough. I just realised it might be an issue and went the other way just in case.
  • After days of trial and error i have come up with a plan.
    As my disc brakes are mounted directly behind the fork I'm going to attach a 90degree bracket to the existing bolt and then bolt the mudguard onto the bracket. I have tried it with a thin bracket however the force on the stays ended up bending it too much so I'm off to wickes to try and get a similar bracket but slightly thicker. If it works i will take a picture and post it later on.

Cheers for the responses
  • rafletcher wrote:
    I did a bit of both. Front fork I made a spacer from an old brake bolt, rear I just bent the stay a bit. But I fitted TRP HyRd's and they have a "low profile" calliper.

Stays are easy to ben - see below, as I had to do some radical bending on my new Genesis Equilibrium disc, due to the mounting points on the fork - supposedly to make fitting guards easier!

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Have you got any photos of how you attached the rear? Did you use the mounting points near the drop out or the ones part way up the seat stays?

I have some SKS longboards to fit and it looks like the stays are too short if you try using the mounting point on the seat stays.

Thanks

Ben
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR