Shimano 2303 shifter and Shimano M131 Triple Chainset

kwmlodozeniec
kwmlodozeniec Posts: 26
edited November 2014 in The workshop
Hi guys,

Converted my trusty old Trek FX 7.1 2011 hybrid to a drop bar with Shimano 2300 series shifters. At the front I have a triple Shimano M131 chainset. Installed all new cables etc. but can't get the front to shift between all three chain rings. I either get 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd depending on initial setup of the cable. At the moment I have it setup for 1st and 2nd, so when I shift to 3rd I get serious chain rub. Any ideas? Is it simply an incompatibility issue between the front dérailleur/chainset and shifter?

In case anyone asks, the FD is Shimano M191, and yes the shifter is a triple ;-)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are incompatible - you need a road series derailer to work with that shifter. And even then you have to check the range it can handle for the chainset you have.
  • Thanks for that.

I had a little look around and FD-2303-B front mech should be able to handle the tooth range I have on my current chainset. One thing I am worried about it the chainring spacing. People on other forums mentioned that the road FD might still struggle to cover the whole range. Trying to avoid swapping the drivetrain completely as current one is still in a good shape. Any ideas?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The mech you mention has a top limit of 52t, range of 22t. The 131 chainset is 28-38-48. Looks good to me.
  • Thanks for that. I did a little more reading and someone somewhere on the forum pointed out that a road FD might not have enough throw/sideways movement to cover full triple MTB chainset width. Tried to find out the recommended chainring spacing for FDs but could not find anything. Anyone has some experience with running a road FD with MTB chainset? Feeling reluctant to spend money on the part only to find out it won't work anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The spacing is the same (matches the chain width) the problem is the road and MTB shifters pull a different amount of cable which is why it wasn't working.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the explanation guys. So, I went on ebay and managed to score a FD-2303 for cheap but the clamp size is too small, 31.8mm vs 34.9mm needed (Yes, I am a tit for not measuring my frame first but it was an impulse buy with the auction ending in 10min when I spotted it at close to midnight!). 2300 series FDs don't go larger than 31.8mm so need to get a Claris 2403 one.