Schwalbe one tyres (not tubeless)

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
From the reviews that I have seen of the Schwalbe ones, they are apparently the fastest rolling Schwalbe tyres as well as having good puncture protection and ride comfort. In addition you can get these tyres for a good deal less than the gp4000s but a little more than the Pro 4s. I haven't seen many recommendations for them on Bike radar (not talking about the tubeless versions). What are posters opinions of the non tubeless Schwalbe ones?

Comments

• ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    in brief - they are fast rolling, the 25mm are massive and they wear quite quickly. I had them on this summer and didn't puncture but I've not punctured with any other tyre either in the 18 months I've been back on a road bike.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I bought a set of these to replace some Ultremos that had come to the end of their life. The Ones are a lot better and dont cut up at easily as the ultremo could. I also got the 25mm and they are pretty wide. I cannot get the rear wheel off without removing the QR skewer on my Bianchi Sempre Pro which has a reasonably decent wheel clearance. They are worth a try if you can get them for a decent price.
  • I bought a set of these around 6 weeks ago in 25mm size to replace my GP 4 seasons...for no real reason than I fancied a change an they got rave reviews. I added panaracer tyre liners to beef up the puncture protection as I've had great results with these the last year or so.

Anyway...

... I got my first punctures in over a year.

They cut up like nothing, actually nothing I've ever seen in 3 years of riding and many different tyres.

They roll no better than anything else...but I don't ride on great roads and a proper racer may well notice the rolling speed.

I need to check and dig stuff out after every wet ride - as I say, they are in pretty bad shape now.

They are awful in the wet. Again, worse than anything else I've tried.

I'm sure they are fine as a summer tyre, but my god I'm unimpressed...would never buy them again.

That's after 6/700 miles of all weather use btw.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Comparing a summer race tyre like the Schwalble One with a rugged tyre like the GP 4 Seasons is not comparing like with like.

The One is certainly fast rolling (I suspect those Panaracer tyre lines slowed CookeeeMonster down) and really easy to fit and remove on Archetype rims. The rubber is soft, supple and grips well in wet and dry conditions, giving me plenty of confidence. Wear rate is pretty high. It doesn't seem to suffer from cuts any more or less than other race tyres. After 600 miles I have had just one pinch puncture through running the pressures a bit low while experimenting. As yet no intrusion punctures. I would say the One is a good alternative to Open Corsa CX and Pro 4.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    Comparing a summer race tyre like the Schwalble One with a rugged tyre like the GP 4 Seasons is not comparing like with like.

The One is certainly fast rolling (I suspect those Panaracer tyre lines slowed CookeeeMonster down) and really easy to fit and remove on Archetype rims. The rubber is soft, supple and grips well in wet and dry conditions, giving me plenty of confidence. Wear rate is pretty high. It doesn't seem to suffer from cuts any more or less than other race tyres. After 600 miles I have had just one pinch puncture through running the pressures a bit low while experimenting. As yet no intrusion punctures. I would say the One is a good alternative to Open Corsa CX and Pro 4.

You're totally right - I'm not comparing like for like, and also I should say I didn't find them slow, just not any different to anything else I've tried that have been 'racier' - but I've not run any tests and I've certainly not done any racing and so on with them. Also, they do make a 'thing' out of the added puncture protection...and it's too big a thing in my opinion (or maybe other race tyres are really bad). The 4 seasons also had the tyre liners and I've genuinely not noticed any difference with them...but if you're a racer then of course you might well notice the difference.

I also found them to be easy to get off and on - a real treat when you're used to tyres that are not so easy :)

As I say, I'm sure they're great as a summer tyre, but I'm so not confident on them in the wet for grip and I've been really astounded on how easily they cut up and pick up shards of flint/glass and so on - so dont make the mistake of using these as an everyday tyre unless the roads you use are good ;) (lesson learnt for me!)
  • I'm a big fan of the Schwalbe One, and use them on my deep section wheels in summer. However, I have been using Vittoria pave open course cx 27mm over the winter months and found them to be excellent.

Last Friday I bought a pair of REVL carbon calipers, and the clearance won't allow a 27mm tyre, so being short on time I fitted my 25mm Ones to my fulcrum 3's for this weekends sportive (Cumbria Cracker).

I felt myself riding the brakes much more on the descents (and the stats show this too) and almost lost it once on a hairpin (which was admittedly wet, sharp and a little gravelly).

I certainly felt less in control / confident on fast wet areas and I would suggest something like the open pave etc. unless it's going to be dry and nice roads.

Defo Schwalbe ones for quick, dry warm days though, they definately roll much quicker than any other race style tyre IMO.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN