Tapered fork/Straight frame

tomosllyr
tomosllyr Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I'm new to cycling, and decided to introduce myself gently to it by building up my first frame. I've bought a mixture of items which I'm trying to fit together. I have a frame which takes an integrated headset for straight 1 1/8" steerers. I also have a fork which has a tapered steerer. I've done some research and found a converting lower headset to fit a tapered fork to a straight but SEMI-INTEGRATED frame, but not to an integrated one. Does anyone know of a way of doing what I'm hoping to do? Or shall I save my time and effort by buying a fork with a straight steerer?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    No - can't be done. A fully-integrated headset uses cups that are machined into the headtube itself, so there's no separate cup that can be removed and replaced with the external cup needed for a tapered steerer.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What frame did you get?

Maybe Cane Creek's headset finder can help.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The only straight headtube that will accept a tapered fork is IS44 - 44mm inner diameter. Most 1 1/8" headtubes are designed for integrated headsets - 41.8mm diameter bearing or 34mm ID for conventional, press-fit headset cups.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..