Winter tyres!

Sitomas
Sitomas Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Peeps,
Awaiting my Trek Domane 4.5 compact disc and wondering which winter tyre to put on it! The wheel set is Bontrager Affinity Comp Disc Tubeless Ready, 142x12 rear, 15mm front. I have read on Bike Radar that there is clearance for 27 or 30mm tyres but being new to tubeless ready wheels I'd like some advice from fellow cyclists. Looking for grip and puncture resistant rather than performance, I ride mainly on roads and cycle paths and class myself a chunky monkey, so stability matters! The Challenge Strada Bianca open tubulars have been recommended? All advice welcome!

Cheers Si

Comments

• I believe your bike comes with tyres, use those until they die, then put some different ones on depending upon whether it is then spring or still winter.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    It's not clear if you want tubless tyres to go with your tubless ready wheels or if clinchers are in the mix too.
    If you're considering clinchers the predictable suggestions given your criteria would probably be:
    1. Continental 4 Seasons 25mm or 28mm
    2. Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25mm
    Both of these are a bit pricey but are well regarded. I've only tried the 4 seasons and have been very happy but both are pretty light and the general consensus here seems to be that both have good grip, roll very well, are durable and reasonably comfortable. It's worth noting that actual size versus nominal size can vary with tyres and these are no exception. The 4 Seasons actual dimensions in "25mm" size fitted to standard rims is probably closer to 24mm whereas the Michelin Pro4 tyres in "25mm" reportedly come up much bigger at around 27mm. I don't know about the 4 Seasons in "28mm" size.

If I was you, i.e. a little heavier than average with a bike providing plenty clearance and wanting durable but grippy tyres - I'd probably go for the Pro4 Endurance 25mm. There's probably not much to choose between them but I suspect you'll be able to find the Pro4s a little cheaper than the 4 Seasons and the ~27mm dimension should give you a comfortable ride too.