Winter tyres - Whyte T129

mattham
mattham Posts: 75
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone...

I'm looking for some winter tyres for my T129.

I have seen some Specialized Purgatory 2.2's pretty cheap that have caught my eye.

I'm a bit worried about the rear clearance on the drive side seat stay, it seems pretty tight at the moment. :?

It's running the stock Maxxis Icon 2.2, but I know that different manufacturers widths can come up different. Does anyone know how Specialized compare width wise to Maxxis, or is anyone running a 2.2 Purgatory on a T129?

Any other winter tyre recommedations that are relatively cheap - £20-£30 is about where I am looking at - the Purgatory 2.2's I've seen are £20 so seem a bit of a steal.

Any help mucho appreciated :D

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• define winter where you ride?

for some its bog snorkeling for others its just a touch moist..

For that reason some folks run full mud spike tyres, others the same year around.
  • define winter where you ride?

Yea, no worries.....Bedfordshire....so some chalky type stuff on the Chilterns, grassy hills and woodland singletrack.....
  • I run a 2.0 maxxis beaver on the back of mine, might be OTT for you but I run mine oct-May-ish and feels fine as a normal 'trail' tyre. It moves around in fast cornering but it's perfectly controllable and tracks much better over off camber wet roots and sloppy climbs than my 2.2 ikon.

Also, a 2.3 high roller only just catches (partly due to the flex in the wheels) so maybe a 2.25 ardent might fit?

Sorry, no experience with other brand sizing.

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • I run a 2.0 maxxis beaver on the back of mine

Thanks CC, this is an option I'm looking at actually, though weighing it up as to whether to go with a Spec Storm Control instead. Reviews of the Beaver say the side walls are a bit flimsy, doubt the Storm suffers this, though the Beaver rolls better than the Storm by all accounts.

So - Purgatory up front and one of Maxxis Beaver or Specialized Storm Control on the rear....any views on this?

The rear clearance on the T129 does seems strange to me from a British bike company that is designed by people who ride in the UK.....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My winter tyres for Suffolk bridleway riding and the like on an old Marin is Geax Barro mud 1.7" tyres. These work well in the slop.

For the kind of riding you the OP and doing the the Conti X-King will probably work quite well. The race sport version is very nice. Currently using the 2.4" tyres on the single speed they pick up claggy mud more than the geax tyres do so at present I am no using them. Geax Saguaro's are another favourite only had these as tubs though and they work very well on dryier ground.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • MattHam wrote:
    I run a 2.0 maxxis beaver on the back of mine

Thanks CC, this is an option I'm looking at actually, though weighing it up as to whether to go with a Spec Storm Control instead. Reviews of the Beaver say the side walls are a bit flimsy, doubt the Storm suffers this, though the Beaver rolls better than the Storm by all accounts.

So - Purgatory up front and one of Maxxis Beaver or Specialized Storm Control on the rear....any views on this?

The rear clearance on the T129 does seems strange to me from a British bike company that is designed by people who ride in the UK.....

I have the EXC 120tpi and it does feel quite fragile but it's very light. It's survived well so far and I don't actively avoid anything suspect. They come with the EXO sidewalls now which I think is a recent edition and the one I'll be going for when I destroy this one. You can get them to seat tubeless with a track pump, a bowl of pasta the night before and a few redbulls.

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im using the 2.35" Purgatory Grids on my Mega. On wet chalky trails they clog really quickly. I wouldn't recommend them as a winter tyre.
  • Me and my 129s riding buddy have just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Hands Damp snakeskin evo 2.35 front, and Rocket Ron snakeskin evo 2.1 rear for our Whyte's direct from Germany (Bikediscount). Were both on the standard factory WTB tyres, the front's are ok but the rear Nano is much more of a summer tyre and struggling in the wet plop.
    I wouldn’t want to go larger than a 2.1 on the rear for the obvious clearance issues already mentioned.
    I'll keep you posted when they turn up :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Just ordered two of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... p-prod8543

Cheap, not bad reviews...will find out.
  • I am using a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 trailstar on the front and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 pacestar on the rear of my Whyte T129. Yes, the 2.25 fits, although I do have Stans flow ex/Hope wheels fitted as the WTB ones were way too flexy.
    Transition Trans AM 27.5
    Niner ROS9
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Anyone use Bontrager 2013 XR4 Team Issue?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... 93#reviews
    Also looking for an Autumn/Winter tyre change...my local trails are in a right mess!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent tyres ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • neilus
    Thanks Cd...you dont happen to know the difference between XR4 Comp v Team Issue..?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... 1#features
    All i can see is that the comp has a wire bead, team issue doesnt and is therefore foldable...cheers!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope but have TI on a bike and they are superb. So good I have some spares stashed away.
    Folding generally means lighter, which is good, and often means better rubber compounds, which is also good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    swapped out my XR4 for a conti baron 2.3 - major improvement in the current conditions.

if you look on the bonti website it tells you the difference between the comp and team edition.
  • neilus
    POAH wrote:
    swapped out my XR4 for a conti baron 2.3 - major improvement in the current conditions...

Cheers, ill look into the Contis...how were they better? Currently giving me more "cr@p your pants" moments than id like are 1) off camber slimy roots (hidden by) 2) deep piles of wet slippy leaves (hiding) 3) calf deep pools of muck...do you think the Contis would tick these boxes?
    Also found these, at a good price....
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... 75613.html
  • Those are 26"?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    neilus wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    swapped out my XR4 for a conti baron 2.3 - major improvement in the current conditions...

Cheers, ill look into the Contis...how were they better? Currently giving me more "cr@p your pants" moments than id like are 1) off camber slimy roots (hidden by) 2) deep piles of wet slippy leaves (hiding) 3) calf deep pools of muck...do you think the Contis would tick these boxes?
    Also found these, at a good price....
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... 75613.html

the baron's are 26inch only at the moment, the new ones are going to be 650b but not as aggressive. you might want to think about WTB vigilante

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb- ... prod107307
  • neilus
    Ok, thats on the list as well! But im a bit confused; the Barons and Vigilantes are 2.3, while the Bontragers I linked are 1.8 or 2. And i did read somewhere that for cruddy conditions, narrower is actually better. The Bon XR spec would seem to agree, the Conti and WTB dont. ??
    Apologies to OP for the threadjack !
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I use nobby nics 2.25 evo snakeskin s front and back on my my t129 on mavic and hope wheels. great tyres loads of grip and not too heavy .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Norrower is better in bogs but nowhere else. And hardpack, rock or roots and they are horrible and you need lots of pressure to stop them pinching.
  • Thanks all, lots of good replies and discussion, certainly has been food for thought :lol:

I think I'm going to go for a pair of Maxxis Beavers, 120 TPI's. I can't find anyone with stock of the new EXO side wall ones until into December so I think I'll get them from CRC as they seem to be cheapest for the non EXO version.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Have you checked nextdaytyres ?
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er