mtb wheels on specialized crosstrail

morgegurray
morgegurray Posts: 48
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I am currently looking at getting a second pair of wheels to turn my specialized crosstrail into a front suspension mtb for the winter.

Has anyone done this before and what size wheels would I need. It currently has 700c hybrid wheels and tyres on it. I will buy a separate 10 speed cassette for the new wheels so I can literally just change he wheels and ride.

Is this possible?

Many thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    29er is 700c so that would work. Or 650b with fat tyres will get close to 700c with skinny tyres.
    But either might have clearance issues.

Doubt the fork will be up to much gnarly stuff though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Clearance is something I need to look into, front fork doesn't have much travel but I only intend on riding easy xc stuff this winter. Big downhill is too scary for my roadie mindset!

Thank you very much.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to look at clearnace all ways round, for example my commuter is a 700C frame (hybrid) running 26" MTB wheels with road slicks, it can run wider 26" tyres than it can 700C as there maximum width is further back along the chainstays from where the width would be with a 700C tyre, the frame will 'just' take a 700x32 (not always I'm told) yet I run 1.5" (38mm) 26" tyres without an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I want to do the exact same thing with my Specialized Crosstrail (hybrid 700x38 with urban tires). This is what I have thought so far:
    -Using 650b MTB wheels and tires (Pacenti Quasi Moto 2.0", Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.2", Kenda Nevegal 2.1", Kenda Karma 2.0") with a 2nd cassete that fits my crosstrail
    -Using 700c Cyclocross tires (Schwalbe CX Comp Cyclocross 700x38, Bontrager LT3 Tire 700c, 700 x 35c Scwhalbe Smart Sam, Kenda KrossCyclo Tire) with my current rims

Anyone think these options might not work?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No idea without a cross trail frame to measure.

Of course the wheels may not be a direct swap, you may have to recentre the brake callipers and reindex the rear mech as not all hubs place them in exactly the same places, buying wheels with the same hub gives you a better chance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.