Which brake pads?

sah682
sah682 Posts: 33
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Any recommendations on brake pads, need to get mine changed as the rears are pretty much gone.

Alloy rims (open pros) will be used all through the winter wet/dry as these will be going on my winter/commuter bike.

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    This question is usually answered in this way:

Person 1 - Koolstop Salmons
    Person 2 - Swissstop Greens
    Person 3 - Koolstop Salmons lasted for 20000 miles, I wore out a pair of Swissstop in 50 yards on a wet ride.
    Person 4 - Well I had a pair of Koolstop Salmons wear out as I got them out of the packaging, I've just done a world tour on Swissstop and haven't changed them yet.
    Person 5 - Swissstop are really expensive £25!
    Person 6 - That's for 2 pairs.
    Person 5 - oh, yes, you are right - not so expensive then

Basically, every brake pad question seems to come down to these two. They both seem like great pads and I think you will be happy with either.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,162
    ^this
  • My kind of forum answer 8)
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    marcusjb wrote:

Basically, every brake pad question seems to come down to these two. They both seem like great pads and I think you will be happy with either.

Unless, like me, the thought of putting salmon coloured pads on your bike is a real no no.

The Swissstop ones are a very dark green so look black.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    marcusjb wrote:
    This question is usually answered in this way:

Person 1 - Koolstop Salmons
    Person 2 - Swissstop Greens
    Person 3 - Koolstop Salmons lasted for 20000 miles, I wore out a pair of Swissstop in 50 yards on a wet ride.
    Person 4 - Well I had a pair of Koolstop Salmons wear out as I got them out of the packaging, I've just done a world tour on Swissstop and haven't changed them yet.
    Person 5 - Swissstop are really expensive £25!
    Person 6 - That's for 2 pairs.
    Person 5 - oh, yes, you are right - not so expensive then

This should be a 'sticky'
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Can I be Person 7 and say - get the blue SwissStop BXP :)
  • LegendLust wrote:
    This should be a 'sticky'

Only if the title is changed to Which Rim Brake Pads. Give it a few years and this will be in the "Historic Bikes" section :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    RC856 wrote:
    Can I be Person 7 and say - get the blue SwissStop BXP :)

Alright smartie-pants!

I am actually running BXP on the front of the distance bike at the moment (rears are greens on 16226km so far and showing no signs of needing replacing).

I haven't noticed any significant increase in braking or anything (they're supposedly a bit better, they were the only Swissstop they had in stock at the bike shop when I needed some replacements). They've only done 1841km, so early days yet on seeing how they wear (typically get around 15000km out of green front pads in all-year around riding conditions, on a dry use only bike, I'd expect significantly more). I do not weigh very much compared to many though.

So - OP - green, blue or salmon - they're all great.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    :)

Blimey....that's a fair amount of miles!
    Mine never seem to last that long!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    ^^^^Wow, I killed a set of Swisstop green in 1,000 miles this summer! Nearly all Peak District riding though so a lot of descents and heavy braking. They work really well though and I don't see £25 for good brake pads as any kind of unnecessary expense!
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Got some swiss stops green when I got my 9000 dura ace, put them on straight away and the dura ace on another bike, the dura ace ones perform better to my surprise.
  • Paul1000 wrote:
    Got some swiss stops green when I got my 9000 dura ace, put them on straight away and the dura ace on another bike, the dura ace ones perform better to my surprise.

They do in the dry but I reckon for winter the Swissstops are better IMO

ETA The DA pads are about a quarter of the price.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Da pads best in the dry. Swissstops are excellent in autumnal weather (rain etc). There is a noticeable difference in wet weather performance.
  • one thing to consider I found dura ace 9000 blocks on dura ace 9000 rims somewhat carnivorous flakes of alloy from ride 1 in the dry new rims new blocks awesome anchors but think pads would outlast rims, I have some swiss black pro bxp to fit when I go away to ride in the sun in jan hope they are a bit less ferocious